course

jmin

Student Of The Blues
I think so. I’m sure a lot of it could be done on an acoustic, but I think that some of the solos would be pretty difficult on an acoustic. You may want review the course description -
https://bluesguitarunleashed.com/course-catalog/

Griff actually answers your question in the Q & A part:

• Q.Do I have to play electric guitar or does it work on acoustic?
    A.The notes don’t change… blues is blues. Everything I show in this course will work on an acoustic guitar. Some examples (lessons 14 and 30 come to mind) work even better on acoustic I think. That being said, it is geared towards playing with a band as opposed to playing solo (by yourself.)

Last edited:

DaveJardine

Blues Newbie
i just read that part also.
i a bit confused when he mentioned, it is geared towards playing with a band as opposed to playing solo (by yourself.)
is he refering to like a jam track or live band?

steve w

Nottinghamshire, UK
i just read that part also.
i a bit confused when he mentioned, it is geared towards playing with a band as opposed to playing solo (by yourself.)
is he refering to like a jam track or live band?

I think what it means is, in a band situation you play rhythm for the most part and then probably a solo part. So the course is pretty much split
into two sections. Rhythm and soloing.
When playing by yourself with no band or tracks to make it more interesting you need to be able to mix it up all at the same time. I would imagine Acoustic Blues Guitar Unleashed is geared more towards that.
Do you play electric or acoustic?

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
If you plan to only play acoustic, I'd look at Acoustic Blues Guitar Unleashed. Lots of the same stuff, but geared more towards acoustic.

DaveJardine

Blues Newbie
i have both an electric and acoustic guitar.
i just started the ABGU course.
was looking at the BGU course, and would not like to double up on more or less the same info.
was a bit worried about (it is geared towards playing with a band as opposed to playing solo (by yourself.)
have no intentions on playing in a band, but i love amusing myself with a guitar.
looking for a cousrse that, as something is taught, some kind of song or jam track is introduced to practise with.

jmin

Student Of The Blues
was looking at the BGU course, and would not like to double up on more or less the same info.
was a bit worried about (it is geared towards playing with a band as opposed to playing solo (by yourself.)
have no intentions on playing in a band, but i love amusing myself with a guitar.
looking for a cousrse that, as something is taught, some kind of song or jam track is introduced to practise with.
Yep, that's BGU. I think there are at least 14 rhythm examples with backing tracks, where you focus on playing chords. And 6 solos (leads) with backing tracks that are very fun and challenging. They're both really good courses and different enough to definitely make them both worthwhile.

artyman

Fareham UK
Don't forget you can always wander down to the virtual jam room to try out your newly learned skills

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member

BGU has loads of tracks within the course and Griff offers four different options fro getting loads of tracks (5x5 Blues Jam Tracks, 29 Blues Jam Tracks(includes tabs), Ultimate Blues Jam Tracks Ultimate Blues Jam Tracks II).

To me,BGU is more about "Take this course and you can learn to play ANY song" verses, "Take this course and learn to play these three songs."