couple of newbie questions??

Marty_Good

Blues Newbie
Hi everyone, I joined the forum back in April 09 had bought bgu and was ready to begin,had to have stent put in heart, had problems with a shoulder and had to put everything on hold. Griff came out with bbg I bought it and now am ready to go again. I was wondering if we are supposed to learn the lessons by memory before moving on or just be able to play with the tabs? Also on the second licks we were learning alternate picking, up down, up down etc. but on lick 4 page 18, in the video Griff varies in a couple of places was wondering why and if it made a difference?

560sdl

Blues Newbie
No, you do not need to memorize the lessons before moving on.  Just be competent with the concept because they build on each other.  So you don't even need to play it perfect before moving on, just be able to play it and come back and practice the older lessons as you move forward.  You will still be improving.

Use alternate picking whenever you can.  Really force yourself to use it when you start a lesson and are going slow.  Alternate picking is the main key to faster playing down the road.

gpower

Blues Junior
There are many ocassions when you won't use alternate picking while playing something but, it should be one of those ingrained techniques.

I

IrishRover

Yeah Marty - to echo what has already been said, work on the lesson until you're comfortable with it before moving on and keep practicing the alternate picking until it becomes something you don't even have to think about.

J

jhagan421

First off Welcome Marty
Just as others have said - play it until you fee comfortable with the piece, you feel oke you know it and you can get it right most of the time.

Alt picking will just become how you play if you force it for a while - Totally change my progress when I was given that little tidbit about two months in.

johnc

systematic
Good to hear from you Marty, I remember when you joined.  Hope you are now well after your surgery and nice to hear you are getting back to it.

Yeah as the other guys were saying learn it and move on, you don't need to consciously memorise it.

Marty_Good

Blues Newbie
Thanks for the support guys, I appreciate it. I figured most of the lessons are for learning techniques,to much to memorize. Will learn to play the songs from memory though. Again thanks a lot.

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
The main reason to learn the songs from memory is to play them when you know someone is listening  ;) Then when they ask you just say "oh I was just messing around."

560sdl

Blues Newbie
Griff,

Congratulations on your 500th post.  Pretty darn impressive for a forum "owner".

Thanks for creating this home for us.