Counting while learning/playing solo's

D. R. Miller

Good News Blues
Griff, I have been trying to follow your advice and attempting to count out the measures while I play the solos but as soon as I start playing I lose count immediately though I can continue playing the solo. Do you have any tips or advice for learning to be proficient at this? I can't seem to play and count at the same time.

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
I struggle with this all of the time. I don't have this counting tool down yet either. What helped me with the lead aspect was the Pentatonic Mastery course. That course is all about playing a single not at a time while playing different sequences of the pentatonic scale. It adds 1/8 notes,1/16th notes, and triplets while playing different sequences. I need to go back and brush up on these skills.......

D. R. Miller

Good News Blues
I struggle with this all of the time. I don't have this counting tool down yet either. What helped me with the lead aspect was the Pentatonic Mastery course. That course is all about playing a single not at a time while playing different sequences of the pentatonic scale. It adds 1/8 notes,1/16th notes, and triplets while playing different sequences. I need to go back and brush up on these skills.......

I have that course just need to spend more time with it along with everything else. Griff has too much good stuff.

david moon

Attempting the Blues
Griff, I have been trying to follow your advice and attempting to count out the measures while I play the solos but as soon as I start playing I lose count immediately though I can continue playing the solo. Do you have any tips or advice for learning to be proficient at this? I can't seem to play and count at the same time.
One thing that helps me is to make a visual aid by marking up the music with "beat boundaries" and count. See an example in this thread.

This also makes you count the rests as well as the notes that are played.

Peter Wynne

Woke up fell outta bed drag a comb across my head
I too am drudging through the counting of each lesson in BGU as i did in BBG. Like David, i listen to Griff count it out, then write it out for each measure. The hard part, as you stated, is keeping up the count as you play. I tend to go extremely slow counting out the notes as i play them. I am placing all of my faith in Griff when he says this will make a difference in the long run. In the meantime, the note learning, counting out loud, and slow paced playing is wearing me out. But each day i go through the paces measure by measure, page by page without the nerve-wracking backing track or metronome yet. Its a painful process but I'm all in and plugging away.

Peter Wynne

Woke up fell outta bed drag a comb across my head
Oh....and i forgot tapping your foot. So first, getting excited to learn a new piece of lesson music but realizing you have 1) learn the notes, 2) memorize the notes, 3) mark the sheet music measures and choruses with the count, 4) let your brain tell the fingers what to do (this step takes a while for me), then you get to 5) play the notes while 6) counting out loud (wife comes and shuts the door at this point) and 7) tapping the foot to the 1&(Uhs). I can do the last three steps once ive completed the first 4 steps in spurts of 30-45 minute sessions before i have to take a break. I can usually get through 4 sessions in a day then i have to let my fingers rest (at which point i have to take an emory board to my finger tips or the bends get all wonky).

The faith that i have is, if i keep this up and plow my way through BGU (and all the other courses and lessons Griff keeps tempting me with) then i will be better prepared for the next BGU live event. Thats my goal, anyway.

david moon

Attempting the Blues
If you're getting 4 sessions a day that's a lot more than a lot of us. One suggestion- if you're working on a lesson, at some point go back and watch the videos again. You will probably find something you missed the first time around.

also consider adding to your routine:

just jamming along with a backing track- no pressure, just noodling or incorporating some bits and pieces from the lessons
try to learn a song that you like from the recording (no lesson, no teacher, just your ears)

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
If you're getting 4 sessions a day that's a lot more than a lot of us. One suggestion- if you're working on a lesson, at some point go back and watch the videos again. You will probably find something you missed the first time around.

also consider adding to your routine:

just jamming along with a backing track- no pressure, just noodling or incorporating some bits and pieces from the lessons
try to learn a song that you like from the recording (no lesson, no teacher, just your ears
)

Great way to internalize the beat.

JffKnt

Blues Newbie
One thing Griff says to do (and I didn't see it mentioned so I thought I'd point it out) is before you try to learn a new song/solo/whatever listen to it over and over and over again. Try to internalize it before you pick up your guitar. Another teacher I have (a bass teacher, Paul Wolfe) has similar advice. He says before you attempt to play it, listen to it until you get pig sh!t tired of it, then listen to it some more.

Skipping this step is a mistake (according to Griff). I agree with Griff.

Once you really start to internalize it, you'll probably find counting becomes easier...makes more sense in context.

And when you 1st start, you don't need to have perfect timing...in other words lose the metronome. Let me try to explain it this way.

If you have a quarter note followed by a triplet then two eight notes and another triplet (that's 1 measure in 4/4 time) you would count it: One | Two and ah | Three and | Four and ah

Here's the point. You don't necessarily have to hold your first beat (One) as long as your 2nd and 4th beats (which are triplets). But you DO have to count it out loud and play each note on it's appropriate place in the measure. Playing it this way when you first start learning it may not be perfect timing (against a metronome), but that's okay. Just make sure you're counting it correctly. After you play it to your count and you begin to "feel" where the notes go, then you can start working with your backing track and/or metronome to really dial in your timing.

When you first start learning this way, it is tedious/arduous/difficult. But if you keep at it, you'll find that before too long it's easier and easier to do. You also want to learn to count with less complicated/easier rhythms before you get into the more challenging triplets and sixteenth notes.

To sum up, if you find yourself having difficulty counting, ask yourself if you did step one (before you attempt to play it, listen to it over and over again until you're pig sh!t tired of it, then listen to it a bunch more). Then count it out without a metronome/backing track until you start to get the feel of when to play the notes. After you can do that then you can play over a backing track or metronome. At this point you may have to play it slower than you want by slowing down your backing track without changing the pitch, then gradually increase the speed until you can finally play at performance tempo. And do yourself a favor and learn to do this starting with simpler rhythm patterns progressing gradually into more complex rhythms.

Hope this helps a little.