Counting the beat

RussellChase

Blues Newbie
Since recently becoming a member of blues guitar unleashed its become apparent how important Griff feels it is to be able to count the beat. I have to admit ive not really done this before when learning licks etc. Maybe its just me but im finding it really hard to count the beat in my head and play licks at the same time. Im able to play very average solos by feel but understand that to progress im going to have to break out of my comfort zone. Will this come with practice or should i just concentrate on other things. Thanks in advance
Russell

Danno

Blues Newbie
I think I've heard Griff say that if you can't count it and play it you just need to slow it down until you can. There will be a speed at which you can count and play. Then as you get the licks internalized your ability to count while playing the lick will improve. But he always emphasizes that the counting is the most important part. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

RussellChase

Blues Newbie
I think I've heard Griff say that if you can't count it and play it you just need to slow it down until you can. There will be a speed at which you can count and play. Then as you get the licks internalized your ability to count while playing the lick will improve. But he always emphasizes that the counting is the most important part. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Bob630

Blues Newbe
Since recently becoming a member of blues guitar unleashed its become apparent how important Griff feels it is to be able to count the beat. I have to admit ive not really done this before when learning licks etc. Maybe its just me but im finding it really hard to count the beat in my head and play licks at the same time. Im able to play very average solos by feel but understand that to progress im going to have to break out of my comfort zone. Will this come with practice or should i just concentrate on other things. Thanks in advance
Russell

Try counting out loud while playing it’s seems to be mote difficult then counting in your head.

Elio

Student Of The Blues
Russell

What has always worked for me has been to simply count out loud while listening and without the guitar in my hand. After that, if playing and counting is still a challenge (it usually is for me), I will just play a root note along with the count, and then work my way up to the actual counting/playing experience. It's never easy, but it does seem to take me less and less time every time I do it.

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
Griff's "reissue" of this Blog Post yesterday couldn't have been more timely.

https://bluesguitarunleashed.com/bl...drip&utm_content=2019-07-27_lhmp&utm_term=all

I was going to suggest something similar, i.e. you can't concentrate on reading, finding and learning the notes at the same you're trying to count.

You gotta memorize first so that the notes come pretty much without thinking, so that you can then concentrate on playing them in time.;)

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
You gotta memorize first so that the notes come pretty much without thinking, so that you can then concentrate on playing them in time.;)

This is how I'm approaching Sitting Easy Blues, and discovering mental muscles that need a lot of exercise. :confused: