Counting is the hardest thing

Discussion in 'BBG Questions' started by CVTOT, Apr 30, 2018.

1. CVTOT

CVTOT Blues Newbie

I have a very hard counting when I play guitar. When I play drums I have no trouble counting, but I tend to sing the count when I play guitar and that throws me off all the time. Especially when I bend a note, I extend that note for the whole bend instead of continuing the count. Anybody else have a similar problem, especially with a workable solution?

Elio likes this.
  2. MikeS

MikeS Moderator... Another Man In Black.
    Staff Member

Slow everything down until you reach a BPM where you can do it, then slowly speed it back up.

Now, If I could only take my own advice, I'd be able to count while playing. At this point I usually just count the rests.

paparaptor likes this.
  3. mountain man

mountain man Still got the Blues!

Counting? Counting....... is tough...... I'll start out counting and then stop..... I'm lucking to get through 1/2 of a song and still be counting. But it's what I need to do....

4. Elio

Elio Student Of The Blues

The only thing that works for me is to first count while listening and not playing -- several times. After that, I can pick up the guitar and have some hope of being able to count it out loud while playing.

sdbrit68 and TwoNotesSolo like this.
  5. Bob630

Bob630 Blues Newbe

It is tough at first but with patience and practice it will pay off.

6. sdbrit68

sdbrit68 Student Of The Blues

I think its one of those things, you just have to sit yourself down and force the count.................I listened to music and counted with it until I felt it going smooth, then added the foot tap, then strumming the guitar with all strings muted, then bring in the chords, worked for me

StevenRoper, steve o and Elio like this.
  7. StevenRoper

StevenRoper Blues Newbie

I'm on the first few lessons and really concentrating on the counting . Its challenging but I reckon its pretty important for progress later. Who would of thought that counting to 4 could be so hard .... plus the other stuff you gotta do with yuor fingers. loving it

8. paul wilson white

paul wilson white BLUES.THE POWER OF ALL MUSIC

Counting while playing is easy if your Griff lol.
    But I don't seem to have a problem with counting and rhythm I think.
    But as for soloing the counting goes out the window for some reason which is a problem.
    When I have a lesson with griff online it's easy to follow him counting but out on your own where no one is counting out load is a challenge but over come it I will

sdbrit68 likes this.
  9. luckylarry

luckylarry Student Of The Blues

I hope this helps with the counting problems. As per Griff....no metronome. Play any jam track or make a loop. Now play only the 1 and count but don't play the 2,3,4. Moving your arm up and down to the beat. Also tap the foot. After a couple of minutes play on th e2 only and keep the motion going. Then the 3, then the 4. You will hear how it sound different on each beat.

Now add say 1 and 3 to the mix. Then 2 and 4. Do any combination you can think of. Keep counting out loud, foot tapping, arm moving in time.

I bet with in a very short time many of the counting problems will disappear.

Just my thoughts on developing a good rhythm base.with solid time.

Elio likes this.
  10. Tom45

Tom45 Blues Newbie

I have the exact problem as you. After over 5 years of trying, I still can't count out loud, but I can whisper the counts instead. Don't know why, but that's just the way it is for me. I have learned to tap my foot to the beat and that seems to help. "Sitting Easy Blues" is a good slow beginner lesson for learning how to count. If it wasn't for that lesson, I probably still wouldn't be able to keep time today. Stick with it, and it will eventually help you to keep time.

Chris L. Babcock likes this.