Coolest Saxophone Swap ever?

Elio

Student Of The Blues
In the bands I have played in, the player would have put the bari into a stand and then picked up the tenor. Why not insert a measure of rests?

The immediate switch to the tenor sounded pretty cool, but I'm thinking he was going for the showmanship value. One of the guys at our local blues society jams always starts off a particularl song they do by playing an alto and tenor simultaneously. He always gets big applause.

david moon

Attempting the Blues
A baritone sax is REALLY big and heavy. If he can pull it off as a showmanship thing, well more power to him. Wiki says it is 11 ro 22 pounds

Oh and there is a contrabass sax/

JPsuff

Blackstar Artist
The immediate switch to the tenor sounded pretty cool, but I'm thinking he was going for the showmanship value. One of the guys at our local blues society jams always starts off a particularl song they do by playing an alto and tenor simultaneously. He always gets big applause.

I think it's more about practicality that just happens to look cool as a bonus.

In that particular song he has a four count (at twice the tempo at which he was just playing) to switch instruments.
If he did it by removing one and then grabbing the other he'd have to unhook the lanyard from the baritone and then place that sax on a stand and then he'd have to pick up the tenor sax, connect the lanyard and be ready to play.

Not impossible, but very little margin for error.

The way he does it by having both saxes strapped on, he eliminates any connection fiddling; he's ready to go in half the time -- and it wows the audience to boot.

Win-win-win.

Elio

Student Of The Blues
I think it's more about practicality that just happens to look cool as a bonus.

In that particular song he has a four count (at twice the tempo at which he was just playing) to switch instruments.
If he did it by removing one and then grabbing the other he'd have to unhook the lanyard from the baritone and then place that sax on a stand and then he'd have to pick up the tenor sax, connect the lanyard and be ready to play.

Not impossible, but very little margin for error.

The way he does it by having both saxes strapped on, he eliminates any connection fiddling; he's ready to go in half the time -- and it wows the audience to boot.

Win-win-win.

I totally agree. I was replying to David who suggested adding enough rests to make the switch. Swinging them around looks and sounds way cooler!