Cool advice from the great Kirk Fletcher

leftymike01

Blues Newbie
Straightblues
Very cool Advise ,Never heard of Kirk before, will be checking out more of his video's, thanks for posting.
Leftymike

dwparker

Bluesologist
I follow him on Instagram where he plays something every day. He is always so positive and upbeat, and a great player.

matonanjin

Chubby, old guy trying to play some blues.
I love Kirk Fletcher and such a sincere fella; I love hearing him speak as much as play. Humble and inspirational.
Straightblues
Very cool Advise ,Never heard of Kirk before, will be checking out more of his video's, thanks for posting.
Leftymike

It's unfortunate there are a lot of people like you @leftymike01 that haven't heard of him. I don't know why that is. He must have something going for him if Bonamassa had him with him at the Greek Theatre and even take the lead on some songs.

And, yeah, @Tangled_up_in_Blue , it's almost as enjoyable listening to him speak as watching him play. One of his weekly broadcasts he didn't even pick up the guitar. He spoke about records that influenced him. Probably close to 10 minutes of his picking up vinyl records and showing them and then discussing how they influenced him. It was fascinating.

Speaking of Bonamassa, I first met Kirk on the Keeping the Blues Alive at Sea Cruise. He and Josh Smith headed up the Artist Jam and it remains one of the greatest musical experiences of my life. But Kirk and I had just a couple back and forth's about a possible lesson if he had some down time on the cruise. I decided I wasn't going to go to the hassle of flying with a guitar, taking it on the cruise, etc., and dropped it. I saw him on the cruise and said, "Kirk, you probably don't remember but we chatted about a lesson on the cruise but I didn't bring a guitar". He said, "Oh sure I do but it's all good!" He then started telling me how much he appreciated my contacting him how much it meant for thinking about the lesson with him!" Humble and sincere are great words for him.

I will try and find one of his weekly lessons when he talked about only playing one guitar for a month. If I recall, it was his PRS Hollowbody II. He used it for all his session work, concerts, recordings, everything for that month. He talked about really learning your guitar and knowing it so well that one could adjust knobs and switching and amp settings and get everything done. Pretty jolting for those of us with severe GAS! But interesting.

straightblues

Blues Junior
I live in the Long Beach area. Kirk has been playing from Long Beach to Los Angeles for years and years. (He moved to Europe a couple of years ago.) He would show up at gigs to support the blues all the time. I have spoken with him ton of times. Always humble and gracious. Never ever seen him upset.

Kirk plays all styles of the blues, He is actually a great West Coast style swing player. He also does the gospel stuff well. One of the coolest things I ever saw was Kirk playing bass for the Battle of the Blues Harps, the annual concert the night before Thanksgiving in Long Beach. He might be the best bass player I have ever seen.

BraylonJennings

It's all blues
I've been a fan for quite a while, he's just a superb musician in any style and likely with any instrument. His videos show off a modest friendly demeanor, but the few I've seen focus on feel rather than nuts and bolts type detail. They're great, but more for your head than your hands. Still great stuff.

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
He has two courses, TrueHeart Rhythm and Trueheart Soloing. I can't speak to those, but I also have a Jam package for Truefire's In The Jam series, which consists of 10 jam tracks configured so you can control each instrument in the jam track. It is also called TrueHeart Blues. It includes rhythm guitar and solo charts for each of the tracks. It's pretty cool, because it also has video tracks showing him doing the rhythm and solo tracks, as well as a recorded narrative as to what he was doing on the rhythm and solo tracks. All of the tracks can be mixed and switched on the fly, using the TrueFire app.

If you get this, I recommend doing a download instead of just streaming, as there is a lot of data. Each instrument and video has its own file and the overall size of the data for this is well over a gigabyte.