Considering dabbling in the Dark Side

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
A fun thread in The Lounge struck a chord with me today. I know I have hardly scratched the surface of geetaring but I'm also into vocals and rhythm stuff in general (I've even had a drumming lesson or two).

Not a very long time ago I fell into a steal on a great used PRS bass guitar, and every now and then I think it'd be a lot of fun to mix things up and learn some stuff thereupon. My in-person guitar teacher has several basses hanging on the wall in his studio space, and today I texted him asking whether he'd be into diverting some of our regular lesson time to teaching me some rudimentary thumping. We'll see how that goes. :Beer:

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
A fun thread in The Lounge struck a chord with me today. I know I have hardly scratched the surface of geetaring but I'm also into vocals and rhythm stuff in general (I've even had a drumming lesson or two).

Not a very long time ago I fell into a steal on a great used PRS bass guitar, and every now and then I think it'd be a lot of fun to mix things up and learn some stuff thereupon. My in-person guitar teacher has several basses hanging on the wall in his studio space, and today I texted him asking whether he'd be into diverting some of our regular lesson time to teaching me some rudimentary thumping. We'll see how that goes. :Beer:

And just like that, another bottom feeder is born!
Collection-sm.jpg

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
If you want to go it the DIY route, I think several of us have picked up basses and gotten Steve Araujo's course. He's a buddy of Griff's and does a pretty good job getting you started. Check him out if you want. I don't think I'll ever be a bona fide bass player, but, after playing around with this course, I feel like I could at least get up and give it a valiant effort.

http://bluesbassforguitarplayers.com/

david moon

Attempting the Blues

Come on over, there's lots of room. You might have gathered from my posts that bass was is my first instrument (since teenage years) and I'm coming late to the guitar. When playing bass the rhythm aspect is just as imprtant as the harmonic. In a band situation you want to lock on to the kick drum (assuming you have a good drummer!). Sometimes just playing the root note with the right rhythm is all that is needed.

Mickey Duane

Used To Be A Rock Star
I started out on bass when I was 14. Had a Gibson EB3 and a pevey 200 watt head with two cabs with two fifteens in each of them. My first live gig when I was 14 was at the Wiskey a go go in Los angeles. Switched to guitar a year later. By 1980 I was a burnout and quit playing anything for almost 20 years. And now -- trying to regain my form after my broken arm and arm surgery last year.

But with you guys - it's always fun to hang

Peace