Confused Newby here.

Mike T.

Dazed and Confused.
Hi. I'm new here (joined last night) and I'm confused. When I log in I see a page titled My Courses and the first tab on the page is for 5 Easy Blues Solos with 42 other titles below it. There doesn't seem to be any directional flow to the topics. Am I missing something? Help with navigation through the site would be appreciated.

Edit - ahh now I see a drop-down list called Select Category on that My Courses page. But still no direction. Do I just cherry pick whatever takes my fancy?

Last edited:

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Sounds like you chose to join the All Access Pass (AAP), while I would always recommend that to anyone getting started with Griff (and wanting to pretty much stick primarily with his courses), you've brought up a great point.
First things first. There are two areas that you have access to: The Members Area (that's where you found the "5 Easy Blues Solos with 42 other titles ") and this Forum, since you mentioned one and posted in the other, I'll assume that you know the difference.

For someone just starting out with @Griff 's courses, you really need two things:
-an honest and accurate self assessment
-Some idea of what's in each course.
You will have to provide the first one, but from there it's kind of self directed. There are resources for figuring out where each course fits. Members on the forum are always happy to help with suggestions, particularly if you can describe what it is that you are looking to learn.

The course Catalog is organized into Beginner, Intermediate, Acoustic, Rock & non Style related, Song Lessons and sets, Specialized courses and Jam Tracks.
Each course has a little blurb under it, but if you click on the course you will get a detailed explanation of the course.

http://bluesguitarunleashed.com/course-catalog/

BTW, The forum is pretty much created around course content. You posted in the Blues Guitar Unleashed area which is intended to be for questions regarding that specific course.

Typical path for a raw beginner:
-Beginning Blues Guitar (I'd been playing for 30 years and still got some good stuff from this one)
-Blues Guitar Unleashed 2.0 (This one took me two years because of detours)
Somewhere between lesson 3 and lesson 10 most people want to start other courses (detours) too
From here, it's up to you...
Soloing Without Scales helped me
some folks like to venture into Guitar Theory Made Useful (and easy)
others are ready for 5 Easy Blues Solos
It really boils down to where you are in your learning curve and where your interests lie.

Feel free to post more question, or Message me directly ( Envelope in the upper right corner of the screen.)

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
I see a page titled My Courses and the first tab on the page is for 5 Easy Blues Solos with 42 other titles below it. There doesn't seem to be any directional flow to the topics.
Since you are an AAP member you see a list of every course Griff offers simply listed alphabetically.

The "Select Category" tab will give you a list of relevant courses to that particular topic, but again, alphabetically.

Non-AAP members will see a list that only has the courses they have purchased, which could possibly be only one course. (My list has 60.)

Other than that, follow @MikeS's advice when figuring out where to go first.

We're all here to help. :)

Last edited:

Mike T.

Dazed and Confused.
MikeS - great & quick answers form you and Paleo. Thanks fellas. I will re-read and digest them. Yes I am an AAP member. Did I not post in the right place? I'll try to do better!!! :D
I'm sure I'll get it all figured out eventually. At the moment it's just a bit overwhelming.

Mike T.

Dazed and Confused.
Welcome Mike T., I’m sure you’ll get it sorted and enjoy your journey
Thanks Papa. I'm sure I'll feel more comfortable in a few days when I can find my way around with ease. At least now I know that helping souls exist.

artyman

Fareham UK
Welcome to the "Completely Baffled and Bewildered Club" fellow sufferers can often be found hiding out in the Virtual Jam Room

Mike T.

Dazed and Confused.
Welcome to the "Completely Baffled and Bewildered Club" fellow sufferers can often be found hiding out in the Virtual Jam Room
Thanks arty. Heck if it was too easy we'd get bored, give up and take up drinkin' eh?

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
I'm sure I'll feel more comfortable in a few days when I can find my way around with ease.

You might try experimenting a little on the Forum main page.

Hover over the title of any category and you get a little "pop-up" that explains what goes there.

(Except for the very first "blue banner" that says General Category.)

Or you can click and open the category and the description will be just below the title.:)

Last edited:

steve o

Student Of The Blues
Welcome to the forum Mike T, it’s awesome having you with us!!!:)
I started with Blues Guitar Unleashed. It was good but I realized that, even after playing basic songs with general open cords for a few years, it was to advanced for me. I went to Beginning Blues Guitar and that was perfect. Whatever your current playing level and skills are, Griff has multiple courses that will be both fun and challenging, and definitely improve your guitar playing skills. Remember, it’s all about having fun and enjoying the journey!!!:)

Last edited:

ChicagoNed

Blues Newbie
Thanks for this thread everybody! I'm new here and was totally baffled by the navigation, it's not intuitive. Helps to have people guide the newcomers.

Mike T.

Dazed and Confused.
Thanks for this thread everybody! I'm new here and was totally baffled by the navigation, it's not intuitive. Helps to have people guide the newcomers.
I'm with you Ned. This has been my 2nd day here and even with the large info post of MikeS and Paleo's help, I'm still struggling. There is no path that I can see. I haven't figured out the disconnect (or connection!) between BGU and AAP yet. Very confusing. Oh well, I guess I've paid for a month up front so I might as well keep trying. I think there needs to be a video on how to navigate. I've spent most of the day lookin' with not much pluckin'. I feel like a whiner but first impressions are everything.

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
You're in the forum right now. A place where any body can join.

The first section is General Category. Each subsection should be pretty self explanatory. As stated above, you can hover over each one and get a pop-op explanation of what's there.

The following sections are course specific. Questions about the Blues Guitar Unleashed course.

Then a section regarding Acoustic Blues Guitar Unleashed.

Then Beginning, Classic, Strumming, All Access Pass.

The rest of Griff's courses are listed in one section, Smaller Courses.

Finally, a section dealing with recording and recordings you would like to submit for others to listen to.

All Access Pass Members:

Go to your "My Courses" page. You have streaming access to every one of Griffs courses, including his jam track CD's.

At the top right you'll see "Cool Stuff". Scroll down to All Access. That will take you to the "live session" archive page and the schedule for the current month.

You also have access to the practice generator, if you wish to use it.

You might also want to check out the AAP Promo page that describes everything you get.

https://bluesguitarunleashed.com/all-access-details/

You can also click on "Shop" which will take you to the course catalog, You can get the details regarding any course.

Click on "Lessons" at the top of that page and it will take you to the Blog.

JohnHurley

Rock and Roll
Thanks Papa. I'm sure I'll feel more comfortable in a few days when I can find my way around with ease. At least now I know that helping souls exist.

Its crazy how helpful and positive everyone is here but that crazy paleo he knows how to give perspective and help on like everything. So many freaking good players here that enjoy seeing people get better. That griff guy knows a bit too ...

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
I'm with you Ned. This has been my 2nd day here and even with the large info post of MikeS and Paleo's help, I'm still struggling. There is no path that I can see. I haven't figured out the disconnect (or connection!) between BGU and AAP yet. Very confusing. Oh well, I guess I've paid for a month up front so I might as well keep trying. I think there needs to be a video on how to navigate. I've spent most of the day lookin' with not much pluckin'. I feel like a whiner but first impressions are everything.

I wonder if part of the confusion is that Blues Guitar Unleashed was, at one time the ONLY course.
Blues Guitar Unleashed, BGU, The Forum.. were pretty much synonymous.
Now we tend to ignore the fact that the BGU 2 Course and the totality of Griff's courses fall under "BGU".

Another possible confusion (and Paleo addressed it above) is that there are two areas. The Forum and the Member area.
The Forum:
The BGU Forum (not to be confused with the BGU Course area within the Forum), is a support area for the various courses. There are areas for you to discuss the courses, post recordings, chat about different musical things or ask questions.
This post, for instance, is in the BGU Course questions area.

At the very top of the Forum there is a General Category, which, as the name implies, is for general discussions. Then comes the area we are in now: Blues Guitar Unleashed course, area followed by Acoustic Blues Guitar Unleashed and Beginning Blues Guitar Unleashed and so on...

The Member Area
The Member page is where you find the actual courses (You are an All Access Pass (AAP) Member, so that's where you would go to watch course videos, past AAP recordings & things like that.

The courseware is pretty much self directed based you your needs, so only you can know which path course is right for you. Everyone's needs (gaps in learning) are different, so there is really no single path though the courses.
There is plenty of information (maybe so much that it creates information overload?) on what each course is and which are aimed at Beginners, Intermediate and Advanced players. I've posted that before, so I won't go into it again here.

The Connection between BGU and AAP
BGU
is the name given to Griff's business & the name of the entire collection of courses
BGU v1 & BGU v2 are individual courses under the BGU umbrella just as is Guitar Theory Made Useful (and easy) and many, many more
AAP is your way to access everything. Every course found in the Member Area is yours to stream. AAP also refers to Griff's 6 live sessions per month (The REAL value in the AAP)

The only down side is that yes, you CAN spend all day reviewing the Forum & looking around at courses in the Member area without actually playing a thing.

Here's a scenario:
You have decided to take Beginning Blues Guitar Course (BBG), so you go to the Member Area and review & play along with the videos there, but you find that you have a question. Now it's time to go back to the Forum, scroll down to the Beginning Blues Guitar area, open the BBG Questions subsection and post your question.
Or
You get an email (or notice in the AAP area of the Member area (Drop down under "Cool Stuff" of the Member area) that says Griff will have a live AAP session today. At the appropriate time, grab the link in the email or on the AAP page and that should take you to the day's live session.

PLEASE don't let navigation keep you from taking advantage of everything that is available here.

If you are still confused, please try to be more specific about what is confusing you.

Mike T.

Dazed and Confused.
Wow, you are so kind to post (and type!) all that MikeS. !! Incredible. No wonder you are a "staff member". I didn't get any time to unravel this site yesterday as I was Grandparenting out of town. Again, I will have to go over your post a couple of times to digest it.

You mentioned "be more specific about what is confusing you". I guess the answer is (at the moment and only based on what I know) is that -
There are sections and I have yet to deduce their relationship (or lack of) to each other.
There is no "path". Let me compare it to another site that I was a member of - Guitar Tricks. They have a flow graphic of the path to be taken and when you click on the main titles of the path you see -
Guitar Fundementals 1 & 2 followed by three streams you can take - Blues Style, Country Style and Rock Style, each with Levels 1&2.
- you also see, once inside each level, the steps to take laid out, in order.
So far I have yet to see any path here at BGU. It could be that I just haven't spent enough time clicking. But when clicking overshadows picking it then gets a bit frustrating.
I will persevere though. With input like yours and Paleo's, I have to! Thanks fellas!