Communication problem with live bgu lab webinar

chesterboy

Blues Newbie
Whilst I can see and hear the office hour sessions and I can see the other participants names and messages, I cannot see my own name or send a message when prompted to in the box at the bottom of the name list. Can you advise me how to overcome this difficulty please.
By the way, the question was: if I play c-minor scale, is the relative major A and okay to solo between the two?
Regards
chesterboy

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Griff is out of town for a few days, so I'll take a shot:
First the easy one:
If you are playing in the key of C (I-C7, IV-F7, V-G7) The A Major will work over the I chord but not so much for the others, for them you either need to move to the Major for that chord or just play the C minor.

As to the Office Hours and not being able to see your posts:
I'd look at the boxes just above the area where you type your message and ,before entering your message) make sure that you have the correct option selected. I don't remember the exact wording , but one is for a chat with everyone and the other is fro a questions directed to Griff, Actually either should work and you should see your message, but I THINK there is another setting just to the left of the options mentioned above that may need to be set too.

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
@MikeS is probably right on for the techie part of that question... but you've got the Major/Minor directions backwards.

C minor is relative to Eb major. Remember little m (minor) goes UP to big M (Major.) So replace the "As" in Mike's answer with "Eb" and you've got the relative major of C minor.

However, more to your point, you can (but you don't have to) use C Major over the I chord, and (you must use) C minor over the IV and V chord. It's best not to jump through hoops trying to figure out relative this-that-or-the-other while trying to solo. Pick a root (C) and keep it in focus at all times, and you'll have better results.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Oops! I never can keep that straight in my head.
I thought he was asking how to play a major sound (over the I?) when playing in C. I think the answer is to play the A minor box 1)
I probably misunderstood the question and got a bit confused...
The whole down "3 & play box 1" for major over the I and "up three" for the harmonic major gets me cornfused.
Maybe an All Access Webinar????