Civil Discourse

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
OH NO-NO; Please don't tell me that Capn: IT CAN'T BE TRUE----SOCIAL MEDIA IS CONTROLLING-- our lives---NO WAY---IMPOSSIBLE-- I thought it was the Russians. How STUPID could I have been.----I only been home 2 hours---I'm going back to the lake and go fishing.:):Beer::):Beer::)
Some fish have tracking devises...........be careful:eek:

Grateful_Ed

Student Of The Blues
-SOCIAL MEDIA IS CONTROLLING-- our lives---NO WAY---IMPOSSIBLE-- I thought it was the Russians.

It is the Russians. They're using social media. In addition since you've returned, the North Koreans have "the bomb". o_O
200w.webp

Last edited:

JPsuff

Blackstar Artist
It is the Russians. They're using social media. In addition since you've returned, the North Koreans have "the bomb". o_O
200w.webp

"We'll meet again,
Don't know where,
Don't know when...

Dr. Strangelove is my all-time favorite movie!

In fact, I am sitting beneath a framed replica of its box office poster as I type this.

Sadly with the way things are going right now in the good ol' USA, it may not be just a movie anymore.

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
"We'll meet again,
Don't know where,
Don't know when...

In fact, I am sitting beneath a framed replica of its box office poster as I type this.

Sadly with the way things are going right now in the good ol' USA, it may not be just a movie anymore.
"We'll meet again,
Don't know where,
Don't know when...

"Round up the usual suspects"

giayank

Just another day in paradise
" Is you is or is you aint a King fish"
" Round up the usual suspects"
"you can lead a horse to water"
They shoot horses don't they"
" Nobody's right if everybody is wrong"
" What we have hear is a failure to communicate"
" But that's my brother's car, Hey you F---ed up you trusted us."
" Carry on with your mission"
" It might be bad if you cross the streams"
" That's not a Home Run It's too high"
" If I was a Lion I'd lie for love"
and my personal contribution " I HATE Kids" Said to one of my three daughters after they have fleeced me out of my last nickle. :ROFLMAO:

I'm home with another snow day thanks for letting me have some fun.

david moon

Attempting the Blues
Seems kind of political but I will stay out of it

"Imagine" a perfect world, well YOUR perfect world.

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
Ah, the good old days, before speed was introduced to the Internet. In the mid 1970's, we had personal computers able to talk to each other at the amazing speed of 300 baud. You would dial up the required phone number, and send your message to "the bulletin board". Due to the speed involved (or more accurately, lack of speed) it took a long time to send a message of any length, thus topics were short and typically involved with technical matters. Sending pictures or emojis was not possible.

Enter the technology gods! With more speed, we have the ability to send long messages, even book length features. You typically are in communications with a person or group of people you do not know. It is really rather impersonal, and so you may not feel that you need to respect yourself or anyone else for that matter. That is up to you.

A person can gain a reputation on a forum, and that may be a good thing or not. Again, it is up to the individual. Comments have consequences. As I have belonged to several forums over the years - most technical, I have noticed certain types of personalities. When forums begin discussions on specific topics not related to the "mission of the forum", problems are likely to occur.

Another type of personality on some forums is one that for some strange reason is truly "our of control". With great patience, I have asked such individuals why they said something out of line. Typically, the answer is they were very drunk at the time. Then there are those who have super egos and put everyone down.

Being a member of a forum can be a problem. You never know when you will be a target or when you will be the bullet to destroy a forum. Good luck to all of us! In the mean time, be yourself, so we will know who you are! ;):):eek:

Tom

david moon

Attempting the Blues
Ah, the good old days, before speed was introduced to the Internet. In the mid 1970's, we had personal computers able to talk to each other at the amazing speed of 300 baud. You would dial up the required phone number, and send your message to "the bulletin board". Due to the speed involved (or more accurately, lack of speed) it took a long time to send a message of any length, thus topics were short and typically involved with technical matters. Sending pictures or emojis was not possible.

Enter the technology gods! With more speed, we have the ability to send long messages, even book length features. You typically are in communications with a person or group of people you do not know. It is really rather impersonal, and so you may not feel that you need to respect yourself or anyone else for that matter. That is up to you.

A person can gain a reputation on a forum, and that may be a good thing or not. Again, it is up to the individual. Comments have consequences. As I have belonged to several forums over the years - most technical, I have noticed certain types of personalities. When forums begin discussions on specific topics not related to the "mission of the forum", problems are likely to occur.

Another type of personality on some forums is one that for some strange reason is truly "our of control". With great patience, I have asked such individuals why they said something out of line. Typically, the answer is they were very drunk at the time. Then there are those who have super egos and put everyone down.

Being a member of a forum can be a problem. You never know when you will be a target or when you will be the bullet to destroy a forum. Good luck to all of us! In the mean time, be yourself, so we will know who you are! ;):):eek:

Tom
Hey Tom good to hear from you again with some words of wisdom.

I too remember the 300 bps days. Around mid 70's our engineering computing resource was a Teletype connected to some "timeshare" service. We also had the TI terminal with the built in acoustic coupler and thermal printer paper. HP and TI were coming out with their programmable calculators and I bought a TI-59 and the Printer/docking station. I was a Jr Engineer making about $11K/yr at the time so that was a pretty significant investment.

TI Silent 700

TI-59