Church band

Mr.Scary

A Blues Legend in My Own Mind
My daughter mentioned to me the last night that I should join her high school church band that plays every Sunday night. I told her I'm not sure I could because I haven't played in band since my late twenties. When I play in the basement to jam tracks and videos I make mistakes and I do not want to do that in front of crowd or am I just out of practice from being in a band ,will it all come back to me or is it a matter of just practicing with a band

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
PRACTICE your parts until you know them, then rehearse with the band. It will be fine.
What could be better than playing in a band with your daughter? (As long as you can tolerate the music they chose. LOL)

Elio

Student Of The Blues
I saw the call go out for a bass player at our church a couple years ago. By the time I thought about it and convinced myself that I could do it, they had filled the spot. In retrospect it would have been really valuable experience for playing in public. I wish I had jumped on it sooner. Go for it!

JohnHurley

Rock and Roll
I am thinking this will be way more fun than you realize! I dont think you can get tossed out of many churches for playing the wrong chord etc ...

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
I am thinking this will be way more fun than you realize! I dont think you can get tossed out of many churches for playing the wrong chord etc ...
But you could have a Music Minister who thinks it'd be a great Idea to do "Godspell", never I had I played such chords!!

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
I had a big long post ready the other day that I skipped because it was so big and long. It said basically what you did. I've played in enough worship bands that I can attest to the fact that, in a lot of churches, the only qualification is that you have a guitar. In fact, I played with a guy at one church for a while that could only play cowboy chords of the non-barre variety, and couldn't keep time to save his life. He also hardly ever practiced, so there were some Sunday mornings just before the service started that he'd walk in, hand me his copy of the music, and ask me to quickly re-write the chords for him and tell him where to stick his capo so he could use chord shapes he knew. On the other hand, I've also played at other churches where I was the weak link.

I think MrScary should do it! You might get into it and decide that it's a total blast! Imho, there're few things more fun than playing music with other folks, and most worship bands are about as accepting and unjudgmental about your playing as folks are around here. They're just happy to have someone willing to play.

Jack

Blues Junior
Our church is all over the place - 5 years ago they had a girl who did all the singing and on Christmas eve she did "Ave Maria" and, man...that performance was worthy of Madison Square Garden. This Christmas eve however we got the children's choir, who were within half an octave of the right note. The pianist / organist is fantastic, even treating us to some Brandenburg Concertos once in a while. And now they've got a girl in her early teens accompanying her on clarinet, She's usually slightly out of time and will either play so softly it's inaudible or so loud it's jarring.

I say go for it, performing in public always makes you practice a lot more and you'll probably meet some very nice people while you're at it.