Chords in lesson 1-11

Maxwell

Blues Newbie
Just started the Strumming and Rhythm course. Suppose to be able to do the course without using the tab. Was unable to follow it without the tab because I have trouble hearing the up strums. It sounds like the down strum ringing tends to mask the up strums. Is this a problem for anyone else or is it my ears, I have trouble hearing some of the higher frequencies, maybe that's the problem.
Able to strum through the lesson using tab so this is not a great concern. Now all I have to do is get my tab reading and hands working in sync. Better go practice some more.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Hard to say. I've gotten through most of it without the book, but I've been strumming for a long long time.
I wouldn't worry about it. If you use the book and you can get the right sounds and timing, then you are golden. It's about learning the strums so that you can play them when you need them.

Maxwell

Blues Newbie
Using the working so far, getting the rhythm down pretty good. Before getting the course I was practicing changing
chords, always using the I, IV, V and VI minor. the lesson goes from the I to the V than the IV, I read V and my hand
tends to head for the V. This causes a slight hesitation and screws up the rhythm. Going to have to retrain the muscle
memory before trying to play along to the backing track.
Going to take some time.

Maxwell

Blues Newbie
Using the tab working so far, getting the rhythm down pretty good. Before getting the course I was practicing changing
chords, always using the I, IV, V and VI minor. the lesson goes from the I to the V than the IV, I read V and my hand
tends to head for the V. This causes a slight hesitation and screws up the rhythm. Going to have to retrain the muscle
memory before trying to play along to the backing track.
Going to take some time.

Terry B

Humble student of the blues
I use the tabs all the time. For me the issue is more the strum pattern changes. There's some tricky ones there and having the book open and counting out loud helps me get through them.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Yeah, towards the end of disk 5, the lessons combine some interesting strum changes and I needed the book for them.
If I could identify a song with a similar pattern, it helped me be able to play it. I guess that way it was already in my head and I just had to get it down into my fingers.

Maxwell

Blues Newbie
Got the chord changes down yesterday at good tempo.
Tried playing along with Griff today, had to slow down
a little to stay in time with Griff. First few times through
I was changing from the D to C a half bar before Griff.
After watching the video without playing I saw that
Griff was staying on the D for a bar and a half and the
C for a half bar than to the G. Checked the tab, all the changes are a full bar except the G to G7 change and
the C to Cm at the end.
Am I missing something or is this a mistake in the video
or the book. Now that I know what is happening it's not
a problem. Just curious.   

luckylarry

Student Of The Blues
Maxwell, my book shows the chord diagram for the change to the C on the third beat, not the first. I think that may be the issue. So the D chord is 4 beats or a full measure plus 2 beats of the next measure. The chord changes are not always on the first beat. Hope this helps.  :)

Maxwell

Blues Newbie
Thanks Luckylarry1, did not realize positioning the C chord
shape in the middle of the bar means to change to the C
chord on beat 3. Totally makes sense now. Will look for
the position of the chords in the book more closely from
now on. Maybe this should have been mention in the initial instructions at the beginning of the course for dummies like me. No harm done and on to the next lesson.

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
Thanks Luckylarry1, did not realize positioning the C chord
shape in the middle of the bar means to change to the C
chord on beat 3. Totally makes sense now. Will look for
the position of the chords in the book more closely from
now on. Maybe this should have been mention in the initial instructions at the beginning of the course for dummies like me. No harm done and on to the next lesson.
I had another person ask that same question the other day about that change on beat 3 and to be certain I went back and watched the DVD where I go over that measure and it is mentioned on the DVD.

So just make sure you watch the DVD through a couple of times to catch all those details like that.

Griff

Maxwell

Blues Newbie
Griff.

Really impressed by the speedy response and help to be
found on the forum. Better than taking private lessons,
you don't have to leave your home to do so. Will watch the
rest of the lessons more carefully in future so as not to
miss anything. I'am quite new at this, have not taken any
lessons on guitar before, always tried to figure out a song
by myself without help. wasn't getting anywhere hence the
reason I got this course after buying the BGG course. Found
real fast I needed more practice with rhythm and counting
time before moving on to BBG.

Excellent course with a A+ teacher and great feedback.
Can't wait to see how far I can go with this.