Chord Fingering technique

J

jimlaney

I'm having a hell of a time trying to get a clean sound of B7 and C7. I'm constantly muting strings with the back of one finger or another. I know people always say that "your fingers are not too short or too thick" - any tips on how to find that spot where no strings are muted that should ring out?

zwantedone

Blues Newbie
Just keep at it. When i started with BBG a while back, the B7 was the hardest thing to do. I could just not get it. Just keep moving your fingers around until you get it right, and keep practicing that finger placement. Eventually it will become a normal move for you. As far as I know, no easy way to do it...

Ray_UK

Blues Newbie
Also try moving to & from the other chords in the progression at no tempo - slo motion the movement, look for anchor fingers that may not move much or at all. Strum it, adust fingers minutely until it is clean.. repeat. Build up a muscle memory so that in the end your fingers just go to that clean spot without you thinking about it.

You will do it without a doubt, just stick at it  [smiley=beer.gif]

Thatman

Playin' for the fun of it.
I'm having a hell of a time trying to get a clean sound of B7 and C7. I'm constantly muting strings with the back of one finger or another. I know people always say that "your fingers are not too short or too thick" - any tips on how to find that spot where no strings are muted that should ring out?

Fully understand Red Dog, same problem, but I know I'm not practicing chord changing as much as I need to. Maybe identifying a simple lesson and include it in a regular daily routine until it's bagged then move on to another.  :-?

Drew

Blues Newbie
I had a B7 breakthrough when I moved my wrist and elbow. It's difficult to put into words but I have to move my wrist away from me, which makes my fingers more vertical in relation to the strings.

Of course everyone is different. But don't just think of your fingers, try moving your wrist/elbow as well.

Also, if you want to practice chord transitions then I set up the following page to help me... http://www.sub01.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/guitar/chord-flash-cards.html

panther

Blues Newbie

Those two chords seem to be a common problem. it will come in time just keep at it, and finger the chords more slowly to get a clean sound and to develop muscle memory. If you build muscle memory with muffed strings that is what you will teach yourself to play. Slow down and make sure all of the strings are crisp. Then you will naturally begin to speed up. If you once again find the same problem , slow it down.
Dan

L

Lame_Pinkey

was just thinking the other day that there hasn't been a post on the "dreaded" B7 for quite awhile  ;)

one thing we can do is to isolate the chord itself rather than continue in a complete progression, so that part of the practice routine is to just play E (for ex.) to B7 & back again 1 or 2  bars each for 5 minutes each day as part of your practice.

LP

LP

henryj

Blues Newbie
Ya know the B7 never gave me a problem. My fingers just seem to like the B7 and C7positions. I just grab a fistfull of  neck and there it is.

I can't count the time I read the dreaded B7 threads and though "what the heck that's easy, I'm I doing it wrong?" then checked the charts over and over to see what I was missing.

But Having said that..
The D and Dm in give me problems. My fingers don't like that position at all. It feels backasswards to me and slows me down. I work hard at those cords.

Does anyone else have any issues with being able to easily play something that gives others headaches or not being able to play something that others seem to get right off?

luckylarry

Student Of The Blues
henryj, you hit it on the head. There are some things that others had struggled with that were no problem for me and vice versa. Going from G to D to C and back to G (the opening chords for Bad Moon Rising gives me problems because of the fast changes. It will come but I really had to slow it down. The song is about 140 bpm. I had to start at 70 bpm and am now at 90 bpm so for me this is a take it easy. Other changes I can do very fast.  :)

Ray_UK

Blues Newbie
Interesting about the D & Dm Henry.. I'm just the same. I'm one of those short fingers players & if anything those 2 chords should be a piece of cake but although I eventually mastered the B7 et al going into a D still always slows me down.

Just in case anyone reading this wonders about 'some' chords giving no problem.. the only one I didn't have a problem with is Em... but they all come in time  :)

Boysie

Just for fun
henryj, you hit it on the head. There are some things that others had struggled with that were no problem for me and vice versa. Going from G to D to C and back to G (the opening chords for Bad Moon Rising gives me problems because of the fast changes. It will come but I really had to slow it down. The song is about 140 bpm. I had to start at 70 bpm and am now at 90 bpm so for me this is a take it easy. Other changes I can do very fast.  :)
I have the same problem, but I don't have any problem with barre chords, I find them easier.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
A good song to use to practice the B7 up in the 1st fret is Season of the Witch. In it you can bounce back and forth between E7 and B7.
It's not the original key and not even the right chords, but they sound close enough that it will work as an exercise. Play that one enough and it will come quickly.

henryj

Blues Newbie
Luckylarry

Going from G to D to C and back to G

My mentor told me to play the G cord using 3rd finger on the E string 2nd Finger on the A string and pinky on the e string.

Try that, it makes C to G a simple and fast change. 

luckylarry

Student Of The Blues
Thanks henry. That is the way I play the G, the problem is going G/D/C quickly. It will come but to change from G/D/C at each strum is what slows me down. :)

J

jimlaney

THANKS to all who replied. I'll just keep practicing and will slow it down to concentrate on position. I'll try moving my wrist and elbow to see if I can find a better position for my left hand. I'll use Drew's chord flash card page to practice changes.

THANKS again for the help!

panther

Blues Newbie
Luckylarry

Going from G to D to C and back to G

My mentor told me to play the G cord using 3rd finger on the E string 2nd Finger on the A string and pinky on the e string.

Try that, it makes C to G a simple and fast change. 

Same here, I built a small callous on my pinky,  at the same time as the other fingers.
Barre Chords are coming, but very slowly for me.
Dan

Swamp Donkey

Blues Newbie
I had the same issue of the D string being muted.  I was using an old kramer.  My new roadhouse strat just arrived and i can just grab it and everyting is clear.  I think perhaps the kramer's neck was narrower.  I realize this isn't real helpful, just what I found.  It was a day and night difference.

Todd

Cynicure

Blues Newbie
Thanks henry. That is the way I play the G, the problem is going G/D/C quickly. It will come but to change from G/D/C at each strum is what slows me down. :)

Larry, choosing the 'easiest' way to play these chords depends on what chord follows the one you're changing from... So, when you're changing from G to C, use the 'no forefinger' shape for G and your changes will be quick and easy... but when you have to change from G to D, use the 'normal' G-shape with the forefinger on the A string...

Happy Hols, Larry!

[smiley=beer.gif]

luckylarry

Student Of The Blues
Thanks Cynicure. I have been practicing this and it is much better. The progression is G (3 downstrokes), followed by a D (1 downstroke), followed by a C (1 downstroke), followed by a G(2downstrokes). When done properly and at speed you have the beginning of Bad Moon Risin' by CCR. For me it was really hard to get up to speed but with perseverance it is very close now.
My buy. [smiley=beer.gif]

Russ

Blues Newbie
When I learn a new chord:
1: place all the fingers where they need to be
2: pluck each string to hear the dirty and clean spots
3: make minute adjustments to each finger until every string is clean.

Remember, you don't have to force the string into admittance. Just use the tip of each finger when possible. Just enough pressure is needed to hold it to the fret or wood. Easier said than done, I know. Its a fine art that takes practice. It often happens by accident. One day you'll be playing and not truly paying attention and suddenly think, "Damn, that sounds good!"