Chord change

zborgnine

Blues Newbie
I think I was a little misleading. If the song is in a certain key and the chords change (not the key) should my lead follow the chord change or stay in the key the song is in. Thanks

jmin

Student Of The Blues
If the chords are in the scale, your lead stays in scale. There are certain notes (within scale) that “match” the chord changes better, but they’re still “in key.” I used to think you changed scales with each chord change until I found out that’s not how it’s done. You CAN play chord changes (like arpeggios), but that’s a different type of soloing.

Al Holloway

Devizes UK
I think the answer is yes:rolleyes: you can do it either way. The standard way would be to stay in the scale that matches the key. However I believe players like Matt Schofield work around the tonal center which effectively means changing scale on every chord change. I think Griff has a course on it but I can't remember which one.

cheers
Al.

zborgnine

Blues Newbie
If the chords are in the scale, your lead stays in scale. There are certain notes (within scale) that “match” the chord changes better, but they’re still “in key.” I used to think you changed scales with each chord change until I found out that’s not how it’s done. You CAN play chord changes (like arpeggios), but that’s a different type of soloing.
Thanks. You answered my question. Good job.

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
If the song is in a certain key and the chords change (not the key) should my lead follow the chord change or stay in the key the song is in.

By staying in the key the song is in you are actually following the chord change.o_O