Chicago Blues Camp 2022 Registration is now open!

JohnHurley

Rock and Roll
OK so yeah the tuition listed does not include rooms. Sounds like dorm rooms will be available 85 a night double / 105 a night for single plus hotel options. Not sure it sounds like may have a block at Wyndham nearby. Its starting to sound like tuition plus room and food going to hit 3k and up.

Its in a happening part of downtown Chicago thats for sure.

matonanjin

Chubby, old guy trying to play some blues.
Its in a happening part of downtown Chicago thats for sure.

Such a fun area. Millennial Park right there. Art Institute. We were there a few years ago for my granddaughter's baptism and hit that area. Went to a great Italian restaurant right by there. I'm sure I'll never be able to remember the name of it.:mad:

tommytubetone

Great Lakes
I've chimed in before about crime in Chicago. The murders are gang related and occur in certain neighborhoods on the south and west sides. The Roosevelt is in a safe area, if anything is safe anymore. If you are interested in this, I'd go for it. My 90+ year old mom was a frequent visitor to Millenial Park and the Art Institute until she passed away a few year ago. Base your decision on the cost etc. and not crime. If you visit the Englewood area, that's on you. There are great blues bars on Lincoln Ave. which I have been to on multiple occasions, which is where Joanna Conner plays a lot. They have two stages at Kingston Mines, so the music never stops. Maybe you'll catch Dion Payton also, one of my favorites. I recall Griff being there. This is in June, so the Buckingham Fountain will be on and the lakefront will be buzzing. I hope this helps. Tommy

tommytubetone

Great Lakes
I've chimed in before about crime in Chicago. The murders are gang related and occur in certain neighborhoods on the south and west sides. The Roosevelt is in a safe area, if anything is safe anymore. If you are interested in this, I'd go for it. My 90+ year old mom was a frequent visitor to Millenial Park and the Art Institute until she passed away a few year ago. Base your decision on the cost etc. and not crime. If you visit the Englewood area, that's on you. There are great blues bars on Lincoln Ave. which I have been to on multiple occasions, which is where Joanna Conner plays a lot. They have two stages at Kingston Mines, so the music never stops. Maybe you'll catch Dion Payton also, one of my favorites. I recall Griff being there. This is in June, so the Buckingham Fountain will be on and the lakefront will be buzzing. I hope this helps. Tommy
Oh, Chicago Music Exchange is on Lincoln Ave. also. Must see!!

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe

Well said. :Beer:

JohnHurley

Rock and Roll
OK so also about downtown Chicago. This event is happening in one of the nicest areas the river winds through there. Nice walks on bridges on top of the river and also down along the riverfront.

Theres beaches and waterfront all along the area. The Navy Pier. Museums. The Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago! ( Ha ha I can go in there since I work for the Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland ... but I think there is a money museum and some history on the central banks etc available for the public to see in the downstairs lobby area ).

Lake Michigan is really gorgeous from Chicago at that time of year. You can at least wade into it I dunno about swimming in it right near downtown Chicago depends on bacteria count but lots of people do. Is there surfing in Chicago on the Lake? Well sometimes ...

Theres a lot going on around downtown Chicago under normal conditions and hopefully by next June we will be back to close to normal. Museums shopping art music yeah it is definitely hopping. American Girl doll museum and store ( we did a long 5 day weekend in Chicao way back when centered around the visit to that city highlight ).

Dont do stupid things late at night ( like in any major downtown city ) and anyone attending should be fine.

Pizza lets go back to the pizza!!! The original Pizzeria Uno location is still open and it has a really nice ( but small ) outside seating area so you can people watch.

matonanjin

Well said. :Beer:

Yes!!!! @tommytubetone Well said. Thank you for injecting some logic and intelligence back into my thread.

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
If any of you guys end up going to this I’m still hoping to get a full report. Won’t be able to make this one for work reasons but 2023 will be wide open. :Beer:

matonanjin

OK so yeah the tuition listed does not include rooms. Sounds like dorm rooms will be available 85 a night double / 105 a night for single plus hotel options. Not sure it sounds like may have a block at Wyndham nearby. Its starting to sound like tuition plus room and food going to hit 3k and up.
This just in!! (I just wanted to say that!;))

I just received this message from the camp:

"....next week you will see an option on the website to include a dorm room (2 room suite, one person per room) for an additional $500. This fee will include Roosevelt cafeteria breakfast each day."

JohnHurley

Rock and Roll
This just in!! (I just wanted to say that!;))

I just received this message from the camp:

"....next week you will see an option on the website to include a dorm room (2 room suite, one person per room) for an additional $500. This fee will include Roosevelt cafeteria breakfast each day."

Thanks! Yeah lots going on next year but wife has given ok so im probably in.

MarkRobbins

Blues Junior
How can I miss you when you wont go away??? Ha ha does that mean you are also headed to Chicago?
Oh, no, even though I grew up in the near western 'burbs. No, I'm quite certain I'm not good enough to waste their time (not to mention my two grand.) My skill level is '60's garage-band rhythm guitarist and pentatonic noodler.

Elio

Student Of The Blues
Oh, no, even though I grew up in the near western 'burbs. No, I'm quite certain I'm not good enough to waste their time (not to mention my two grand.) My skill level is '60's garage-band rhythm guitarist and pentatonic noodler.

I'm still trying to figure out whether I can make it work with my schedule, but that's exactly my fear too!

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
I went to a couple of acoustic guitar camps and it turned out most of the workshops were far too advanced for me. I took advantage of some one-on-one instruction a couple of times, took a couple of songwriting seminars, and spent the rest of my time gearing up for the evening open mic sessions. I had a good time at both of the ones I attended but after the second one decided that was enough (especially given the cost of tuition/lodging and travel to California).