Chicago Blues Camp 2022 Registration is now open!

matonanjin

Chubby, old guy trying to play some blues.
The Chicago Blues Camp is Monday, May 29, to Friday, June, 3, 2022, From the email I just received:

"Register for this 5-day immersive camp to get 6+ hours of instruction and jamming per day, with instructors who are all professional musicians who work, live and breathe the Blues. Most of our instructors and guest artists are Chicago Blues Hall of Fame Artists. Join them at Chicago Blues Clubs for late night performances. Become part of the Chicago Blues Network."

A great looking line-up of instructors. I am tempted to sign up just to jam with Johanna Conner. My wife and I saw her on the KTBAS Blues Cruise and she is awesome.

Elio

Student Of The Blues
I've thought about this in the past but have never done it. This is really tempting!

matonanjin

I've thought about this in the past but have never done it. This is really tempting!
Yes, it is. Very tempting. My wife and I are taking a trip to Las Vegas or Scottsdale next month. So I am trying to decide: Should I start working on her NOW for this? Or after we get back from that trip? Or maybe while we are ON that trip, when we are really having fun. I just can't decide:sneaky:

JohnHurley

Rock and Roll
Hmmmm wow yeah that looks interesting. I sent them a question its not clear to me about lodging etc. I think one has to do that separately maybe they sure do not say that the 2k cost includes a hotel etc. If it becomes 2500 ( tuition ) plus lodging in Chicago thats going to make it look more like 4k ish ... not saying thats a bad thing.

Geez then one has to pick intermediate or advanced blues guitar curriculum. Yikes ...

Elio

Student Of The Blues
Yes, it is. Very tempting. My wife and I are taking a trip to Las Vegas or Scottsdale next month. So I am trying to decide: Should I start working on her NOW for this? Or after we get back from that trip? Or maybe while we are ON that trip, when we are really having fun. I just can't decide:sneaky:

My recommendation is that you start off the conversation by nonchalantly mentioning how great Chicago-style pizza is. If you describe it in sufficient mouth-watering detail, the plans should just fall right into place on their own :sneaky:

JohnHurley

Rock and Roll
Hey Elio are you really serious about going? I am looping Dennard in ... dang my wife said I could go already.

I dunno if I do this no budget for any Dallas trips next year. It is still unclear to me if the 2300 ish tuition covers any housing.

JohnHurley

Rock and Roll
Crime is to high there

Looks like it is at Roosevelt University on Van Buren right in middle of downtown very close to waterfront.

I'm thinking that it is in an area thats about as low crime as anywhere in the downtown area. The waterfront that follows the lake up and down is pretty posh and beautiful parks all around there. Columbia College Chicago right across the street. Lots of big buildings it looks fine to me.

Im guess the Chicago Blues Camp is going to be pretty safe could vary with bad decisions.

Last edited:

BraylonJennings

It's all blues
I met Johnny Burgin at a blues open mic in Gruene, Texas, two January's ago. I didn't play, these were all serious players at Burgin's level. Johnny's a nice guy and a great bluesman, but I can't see dropping a couple grand for intensive lessons and jam sessions. The ad is weird. On my calendar, May 29 is Sunday and the 30th is Memorial day, not a good week for me to get away. Jorma Kaukonen does similar workshops nearer to home here in Ohio. These stars are great entertainers, but I don't know if they teach in a way that I can learn from. At least not a couple grand's worth of learning, but that's me. Would certainly be fun.

Elio

Student Of The Blues
Looks like it is at Roosevelt University on Van Buren right in middle of downtown very close to waterfront.

I'm thinking that it is in an area thats about as low crime as anywhere in the downtown area. The waterfront that follows the lake up and down is pretty posh and beautiful parks all around there. Columbia College Chicago right across the street. Lots of big buildings it looks fine to me.

Im guess the Chicago Blues Camp is going to be pretty safe could vary with bad decisions.

I seriously considered it a couple years ago when Kestrou brought it up but I never followed through. I may end up with a conflict as I *think* my son is graduating with his master's degree that week but I need to find out the schedule for sure. If not, maybe I'll bring up Chicago style pizza to my wife and see what happens. Speaking of kestrou, I haven't seen him around here in a really long time. I hope he's doing ok!

tommytubetone

Great Lakes
I had lunch with Scott Weil, who created the camp, back when I was planning the Kalamazoo jam. His event was going to take place in Kalamazoo the weekend before the BGU jam. I met him on this forum and found out we grew up very close to each other. Nice guy. He is a blues fanatic and knows all the artists in the Chicago blues scene. Covid ruined everything. I don't know anything about the teaching styles of any of the performers, but playing at some of the top blues clubs in the Windy City would be cool. Here's a pic of us outside a Skokie restaurant.IMG_1049.jpeg

matonanjin

Hmmmm wow yeah that looks interesting. I sent them a question its not clear to me about lodging etc. I think one has to do that separately maybe they sure do not say that the 2k cost includes a hotel etc. If it becomes 2500 ( tuition ) plus lodging in Chicago thats going to make it look more like 4k ish ... not saying thats a bad thing.

Geez then one has to pick intermediate or advanced blues guitar curriculum. Yikes ...

Do NOT go by what I say. Wait to hear from them. I want to know also and am going to check with him. But I think the tuition includes lodging, double occupancy, at the dorm at Roosevelt University. I wondered about this also last year when I was considering this and, if memory serves, that's what I found out.

JohnHurley

Rock and Roll
I had lunch with Scott Weil, who created the camp, back when I was planning the Kalamazoo jam. I don't know anything about the teaching styles of any of the performers, but playing at some of the top blues clubs in the Windy City would be cool.

So you are thinking about it?

matonanjin

My recommendation is that you start off the conversation by nonchalantly mentioning how great Chicago-style pizza is. If you describe it in sufficient mouth-watering detail, the plans should just fall right into place on their own :sneaky:
Excellent plan.

JohnHurley

Rock and Roll
Do NOT go by what I say. Wait to hear from them. I want to know also and am going to check with him. But I think the tuition includes lodging, double occupancy, at the dorm at Roosevelt University. I wondered about this also last year when I was considering this and, if memory serves, that's what I found out.

Cool thanks ha ha im not bunking in a dorm dorm with nobody but my wife so yeah theres like a 300 add in for partner … but if thats the case im down for it!

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
You fine folks can give a full report if you go, and I'll be looking forward to reading it. By the time they hold their 2023 session I'll be retired, and it's not much longer a drive than I was willing to take to Kalamazoo for a shorter stay. :Beer:

BraylonJennings

It's all blues
Hmmm on the main page for Chicago Blues Camp they have videos from youtube for most of the teachers.

At least several of the videos look to be complete lessons on playing several of the songs from the Blues Camp "set list".

Heres Thats Allright by Jimmy Rogers lesson by Johnny Burgin. Wow I like that song and Johnny seems like a great teacher.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyR0-1Eaj04
That's the real blues. Great lesson.