Changes at JamKazam

Elio

Student Of The Blues
I just received an email from JamKazam indicating that they have introduced some new beta features and have launched a GoFundMe campaign to fund additional development. So far, they have raised about $14,000 out of the $100,000 that they are looking for. It sounds as though with all the renewed attention, they may have an incentive to take it to the next level. Hopefully, they will have a business model that is a win-win for everyone.

One of the beta features is a live stream to Facebook option. A few jammers got together and tried it out a day or two ago and I have to say that I am reasonably impressed with the results. Here is the link for anyone who would like to take a look: https://www.facebook.com/JamkazamLIVEJams/videos/3731738046896854

Here is the email in its entirety for anyone who is interested:

Hello JamKazammers –

We received an outpouring of encouragement and offers to help from the last email in which we explained our current status, and we'd like to say thank you for this. It really helps us to hear how many of you love the service. Given the number of users who would like to support JamKazam's continued development, we have created a GoFundMe. If you would like to help keep JamKazam alive and innovating, please consider using the link below to contribute what you can, with our thanks. In the GoFundMe description, you'll find a list of things we'd like to be able to do with more funding, including our top target - a feature that will decrease Internet latency between musicians in sessions.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/cy2fsq-keep-jamkazam-alive-amp-improving

We are also announcing the beta release of a new set of features that will let you live broadcast the video and audio of your JamKazam sessions through YouTube Live, Facebook Live, or Twitch. You can broadcast free, public performances. Or you can use JamKazam's Eventbrite integration to sell tickets and generate income from paid concerts. Our new broadcast features also include remote control of all cameras in the session, with support for both individual performer shots and group/composite layouts, to add visual interest during your performances.

Here is a link to the tutorial video for the new broadcasting features: https://youtu.be/-HnbJBbbM_E

And here is a link to a Facebook Live stream that was put together by some enterprising JamKazammers who discovered and figured out how to use this feature before we announced it: https://www.facebook.com/JamkazamLIVEJams/videos/3731738046896854

If you use the new broadcast feature, please email us a link to your performance at
support@jamkazam.com so we can see it. And if you are scheduling an upcoming performance, please email us let us know about it so that we can help you promote it to fans who are missing live music while in quarantine.

Best Regards,
Team JamKazam

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
I was really impressed. I guess i assumed that along with their latency problems, insufficient bandwidth would be s problem, but they had 4 video streams going and it looked great.

Elio

Student Of The Blues
I was really impressed. I guess i assumed that along with their latency problems, insufficient bandwidth would be s problem, but they had 4 video streams going and it looked great.

Same here, but I thought they sounded reasonably tight.

MikeR

Guitar Challenged
Staff member
That looks really good. I'm going to have to get a long ethernet cable for my setup and try it out.

Jim_Schmidt

Blues Newbie
I just donated to this. I was one of the many who emailed them to encourage a GoFundMe. I really think it's worth supporting.

MikeR

Guitar Challenged
Staff member
Looking at the video, it appears you need to have someone on a separate network to stream it?

Elio

Student Of The Blues
That looks really good. I'm going to have to get a long ethernet cable for my setup and try it out.

Mike, I have been using these in my house to connect my downstairs router to my upstairs router. Once they are plugged into an AC outlet and paired, they seem to work really well and with no speed loss if the outlets are on the same circuit. In my case, the two outlets are actually on different circults but the signal is still able to cross over, albeit at about 70% of the bandwidth.It still ends up being much faster and more reliable than trying to connect via wifi.

The only consistent problem I have found is that if an AC adapter/charger is plugged in on the same outlet with the powerline receiver, it introduces noise and slows it down. I had the AC adapter for the router plugged in to the same outlet as the powerline adapter and could not figure out why it was so slow. Once I moved the router's power adapter to its own outlet, the speed more than doubled.

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-AV60...words=tp+link+powerline&qid=1589055887&sr=8-4

Last edited:

MikeR

Guitar Challenged
Staff member
Mike, I have been using these in my house to connect my downstairs router to my upstairs router.

That's what I'm using for my office computers. Tried it in the music room, but it's inconsistent, for the reason you mentioned (everything plugged into the same outlet). So, I normally use wifi in that room, as I don't usually need to stream much beyond Youtube videos. For something like JamKazam, I can temporarily hook up a long ethernet cable to the router (about 50' away).