CCR's Suzie Q from scratch

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
I applaud the effort.
I think you got some of the element down pretty well.
The general vibe and tone is very good.

Some parts are a bit our of sync though.
A little this and a little that and you got it nailed.

MarcV

Blues Junior
I applaud the effort.
I think you got some of the element down pretty well.
The general vibe and tone is very good.

Some parts are a bit our of sync though.
A little this and a little that and you got it nailed.
Thanks Captain. Appreciate the listen. Any specifics on what needs tightening up: in my mind it is drums in general and the acoustic type lead immediately after 2nd verse (,verse that ends with "will you be mine?"

JestMe

Student Of The Blues
I pretty much agree with CaptainMoto's thoughts. I would further say it is not an easy song to get down but I think you are getting some of the feel for it. I hope you stick with it and repost again after a bit more woodshedding with it..

MarcV

Blues Junior
I pretty much agree with CaptainMoto's thoughts. I would further say it is not an easy song to get down but I think you are getting some of the feel for it. I hope you stick with it and repost again after a bit more woodshedding with it..
Thanks Chris. Will do and thanks for the feedback
Is the lead disconnect localized at all to either the overdriven gtr near beginning, the overdriven gtr at the end or the clean lead in the middle? Or all of the above.?:whistle:

matonanjin

Chubby, old guy trying to play some blues.
As has been stated, what a great effort. If you work on the few suggestions you are going to have this nailed. This is one of the most classic rock songs ever and on my "song bucket list". I hope I can do as well as you someday and muster the nerve to post my effort.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
IT seems like each piece was recorded separately and when you did the mix down you didn't get the pieces aligned or they weren't played to a click track working in the same tempo.

MarcV

Blues Junior
As has been stated, what a great effort. If you work on the few suggestions you are going to have this nailed. This is one of the most classic rock songs ever and on my "song bucket list". I hope I can do as well as you someday and muster the nerve to post my effort.
Hey thanks so much. The bottom line is to have fun. You should check out the VJR and just jump in with contribution. It is great way to post without having to throw a whole song out there.:Beer:

MarcV

Blues Junior
IT seems like each piece was recorded separately and when you did the mix down you didn't get the pieces aligned or they weren't played to a click track working in the same tempo.
Thanks Mike. You are probably right but I can't figure out how to tighten it up.
Everything is recorded separately as it is just me on the whole thing. Every separate recording is done with the click track going at 120 BPM.
I play back each track separately to click track (drums, bass and rhythm gtr) and they sound fine. Seem to be right on the beat. Oh well

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Thanks Mike. You are probably right but I can't figure out how to tighten it up.
Everything is recorded separately as it is just me on the whole thing. Every separate recording is done with the click track going at 120 BPM.
I play back each track separately to click track (drums, bass and rhythm gtr) and they sound fine. Seem to be right on the beat. Oh well
What DAW are you using?
I think it might help for you to review the video @PapaRaptor on recording a VJR solo ( https://bluesguitarunleashed.com/fo...tudio-one-recording-a-solo-for-the-vjr.30696/ ). In it he describes how to get things lined up on the right beat.

Elwood

Blues
Your are working it! That's great!!!
I agree with timing being the place to start. We need one of the resident countologists here, but but going through the first 12 seconds you get a little wonky when the guitar comes in. (I was going to try to count it but decided it was not good for me:whistle:). You have to get that sorted out before you add anything IMO).
Once you get that timed how you want it, just move ahead and listen for if anything added comes out of time. Count, stomp, slap, shake your head, or all of the above - just keep that 1-2-3-4 going and you can hear if something goes sideways, I know you can. :thumbup:
You have good parts, just need to plug them together tighter.

Elwood

Blues
It sounds like your drummer isn't keeping time starting out, right around 8 sec. there is a stutter that makes me feel like time is loose. Your snare is hitting 2 & 4, and it sounds like your guitar comes in out of time,
I think you want to hear that snare hit 2 right after your first guitar note.
Wish I had something more helpful. Listen and pound that 2 & 4 on you leg, try to feel how the parts fit. Maybe go back to CCR recording and listen to the first 8 bars or so, over and over. Go back and play that part against your drum track. Maybe if you focus on just getting a solid start. It will feel real good, kinda funky, when you get it, and you will!!!

MarcV

Blues Junior
It sounds like your drummer isn't keeping time starting out, right around 8 sec. there is a stutter that makes me feel like time is loose. Your snare is hitting 2 & 4, and it sounds like your guitar comes in out of time,
I think you want to hear that snare hit 2 right after your first guitar note.
Wish I had something more helpful. Listen and pound that 2 & 4 on you leg, try to feel how the parts fit. Maybe go back to CCR recording and listen to the first 8 bars or so, over and over. Go back and play that part against your drum track. Maybe if you focus on just getting a solid start. It will feel real good, kinda funky, when you get it, and you will!!!
Thanks again Ellwood. I feel that with this version the drums and the 2 4 rhytm gtr are in sync but that ongoing riff is not. So you are right make the 2 of that ongoing riff is lined with snare on 2. Thanks again for listens and feedback

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
Hi Marc, I gave that a listen and I think a great deal of why the song is sounding a bit rough is the underlying beat of the song. I don't know what you are using for a drum loop, but it is off, right from the get-go. That's not your fault. The beat to CCR's original recording is very odd. We're all used to hearing the kick drum on the 1 and 3 beats and the snare on the 2 and 4 beats.

The underlying drum beat for Susie-Q has no kick drum on the 1 or 3. Instead, the kick is on the AND of all beats. The snare is on the 2 and 4 beat.

It sounds like your drum track is playing Kick on 1, Snare on 2, Kick on 3, Kick on AND, Snare on 4.

I think this is what is throwing off the rest of your timing. The first guitar part should come in right on (or actually just a little behind the 1 beat.

I've taken the original beginning by CCR and put a click track with emphasis on the first beat and done the same with yours. My ending point was the first bar after the first guitar comes in. It may make more sense by listening than my explanation.

Original: https://fuzzypinkstrap.com/FIXIT/Clip-SusieQ-CCR.mp3
Yours: https://fuzzypinkstrap.com/FIXIT/Clip-SusieQ-MarcV.mp3

The click track isn't 100% accurate on the CCR version. I seriously doubt that back in 1968 there were many (if any) studios using a click track.

Last edited:

MarcV

Blues Junior
Thanks Papa. That would make sense and changes feel entirely.
You are correct about current drums with the one addition that the kick on 3 is actually double hit so 3 + on the kick.
Not a drum loop that is actually me playing the drums, which probably is a factor as well. I will take a lusten and For next go around i will see if i can coordinate the kick on the offbeat like you suggest. Thanks again

MarcV

Blues Junior
Thanks Papa. That would make sense and changes feel entirely.
You are correct about current drums with the one addition that the kick on 3 is actually double hit so 3 + on the kick.
Not a drum loop that is actually me playing the drums, which probably is a factor as well. I will take a lusten and For next go around i will see if i can coordinate the kick on the offbeat like you suggest. Thanks again
Oops. You did say in your 3 and for the kick.