Can we please get an SBS II course?

OliverMeyer

Blues Newbie
Dear @Griff

this is my first thread ever but I just wanted to say how much I appreciate this course. It is probably fair to say that this might very well be the most challenging course I have bought to date but it is also the most rewarding one. Today I have started practising Solo No 5 and I found this one much easier than No 3 and 4 which means that all the hours I put in are starting to pay off.

While I feel that I am beginning to develop a sense of the major and minor options inside each box, I am far from pulling this off on an intuitive level (which for me is the ultimate goal) and I do believe that another course could help us get there faster, so I'll just make a wish and maybe we will all get lucky:

Could you please do a Slow Blues Supplement II course that offers Solos that switch between major and minor like the first course BUT this time connect and move in between boxes? So the first Solo would cover box 1 and 2, another box 2 and 3, then 3 and 4, 4 and 5 and finally 5 and 1. I have not seen anybody do this anywhere and I am starting to believe that you might be the only one to pull this off. It might even be a good thing if you used some of the same licks as in the original course.

Very best and thanks again for this awesome course.

Oliver

Last edited by a moderator:

OG_Blues

Guitar Geezer
If you think this approach would be useful for you, I would not argue with you, but......
let me argue with you anyway :ROFLMAO:;):(:) just for the sake of discussion, and maybe providing a different perspective (well, it is Griff's perspective I will paraphrase).

While the boxes are used endlessly in blues and in most of Griff's materials, one could argue that they are also used endlessly needlessly.
Look at and read carefully the information Griff writes on page 18 of your SBS manual.
He states "Our goal (emphasis is mine) is to one day have it so that you really don't think in terms of boxes anymore".
When I saw this, I was at a point where I really had not "mastered" all of the boxes yet - so I took this to heart and stopped learning them right then and there, and embraced the "root + major / minor pattern" concept. It's only 4 patterns to remember, and then you don't need to know the boxes at all.
If you approach it from this perspective, then you should be able to figure out what you are suggesting by yourself without any problem.
You will find, however, that certain licks lend themselves to be most easily played at certain places on the neck, even though all the same notes are present in multiple different positions.