Call and response is that theory or technique

JohnHurley

Rock and Roll
Every once in a while my brain works a little and I start to figure something out. Trying some short phrasing call and response ... A couple 4 5 notes maybe or 3 starting something maybe higher up ... a response some notes from lower maybe coming up scale ... repeat same with a small change ...

Change it up start a different phrase as the call part dont make it too long ... response might be same or a few notes more ...

Dont get too crazy with the phrasing or too intricate? Any way im trying some stuff in this link https://soundcloud.com/john-hurley-709955125/slow-decay

Anyone have good links related to blues basic call and response I have heard it forever but having it start to work in your brain and fingers is a feeling based thing that just takes so much time for brain to be able to try to do it automatically ish.

Any good stories or practical advice on getting better with it?

Thanks John

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
This is an excellent question! I enjoy call and response in different types of music I play. When it comes to Blues, BB King is my favorite. In one of his interviews he described his approach to playing the Blues, as if it were a conversation. Not only do you use Call and Response, but you emphasize elements of the words (notes) used.

Call and response (music) - Wikipedia

Use Call and Response Like a Blues Guitar Legend (jamplay.com)

Another approach to playing the Blues, is to play as many notes as possible, as loud as possible, as fast as possible, and attempt to "enjoy yourself"! :confused:

Tom

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
Call and response doesn't have to be guitar phrases, it can be the guitar answering a vocal phrase

Elio

Student Of The Blues
I think it's more stylistic choice than it is theory. The technique my instructor taught me was to come up with a question and and answer that pertain to the song, and then use those as the basis of creating and phrasing licks for the call and the response. It works for me when I remember to do it!