CAGED Errata

Blues Newbie
Mistake?
page 11, C - G shape, 1 4 5
5 chord diagram (D shape) fret labeled incorrectly (the 5th fret is labeled as the 8th fret)

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
Page 25 the diagram at the top has the 5 on the E string at the wrong fret should be on 3rd fret not 2nd

mpaq

Canfield, Ontario, Canada
Well my initial feedback of this course is that its been a real eye opener for me. Always good to see the fretboard in multiple ways but i hesitate to spend a lot of time on something that i may not necessarily use. I probably would get more out of this if i learned it from the beginning but i dont really find it much easier, in fact i think in some ways its actually harder. I do understand the concept and can play the shapes in all the keys but i find most of the shapes that i didnt already know, very awkward to play. Yes with practice they would get easier, but once you get to this level, i think most people would already know 3 versions of every chord....open, 6th string bar (E shape) and 5th string bar (A shape). I just cant see myself ever playing the G or D shapes for a regular chord.....if im at the 10th fret and i need a C chord its a heck of a lot easier to play the normal 6th string E shaped bar at the 8th fret than to try to finger the D shape with my pinky. And holy crap when the course starts mixing in the right and left facing patterns it gets so convoluted i start to wonder if its more of an opportunity cost of time to try and figure it all out when im not yet convinced that i will actually use it that often.
Maybe its because i do not yet know what i do not know (n) and the light bulb has yet to go off.

As another piece of the puzzle though, its very interesting and helps to reinforce what i already know....a year from now i may have a different clarity and my opinion may change or at least evolve to some kind of hybrid combination of methods.
This whole right and left facing thing really has me baffled as to the practicality of it all.......there are 4 box patterns for every string root - 2 for right facing maj/min and 2 for left maj/min (actually only 3 patterns since R&L facing major and minor always share same pattern on the same root, just in a different direction).
The only way i would ever learn this is to memorize the right facing maj/min patterns on every string root well enough that i could do it on autopilot.....only then would i be able to absorb the left facing approach well enough to understand and apply it on the fly....to try to learn this all at once is just a recipe for mass confusion....definately not intermediate level stuff in my opinion.

Is it helpful? Absolutely. Worth what i paid? Yup. Worth the time spent on the drills? We'll get back to you on that :)
Maybe this is a good example of what Griff was referring to when he spoke of the diminishing value of extra stuff you add to your kit bag as your skills increase....for some, it could be the best thing since sliced bread...for me at this point its just another loaf of a different kind of bread...

Last edited:

Norfolk Bill

norfolk uk, just knoodling along
the chords if not the ability to play infils from that chord shape, will come in handy if you take the classic rock course,,,or to be honest just general guitar playing out of the blues area

mpaq

Canfield, Ontario, Canada
Hi Bill....agreed. My weakness is the ability to play the correct patterns from the roots on different strings....ill continue to work on it as i will likely delve into the rock course at some point. He had me at Gilmour (y)