caged course

Jack Fioramonti

Blues Newbie
I now know why BBKing didn't like to play rhythm only lead , short fat fingers . I am having a lot of trouble reaching 5 frets on like the G shape cords and even some C shaped cords , and fingers 2-3-4 do not like the D shape lol ,, short fat fingers are just going to have to find another way

HotLks

Blues - it's in me and it's got to come out.
Hi Jack -

Sounds like your interested in making it happen with Blues for you!

If your so inclined, head over to the Introduce Yourself thread so you can get a proper welcome.

Glad to meet you!

See you down the road! :thumbup:

benjwri1707

Blues Newbie
I now know why BBKing didn't like to play rhythm only lead , short fat fingers . I am having a lot of trouble reaching 5 frets on like the G shape cords and even some C shaped cords , and fingers 2-3-4 do not like the D shape lol ,, short fat fingers are just going to have to find another way
I don't have fat fingers nor abnormally short fingers and been playing for many years. Can't do 5 frets, just gave up. I fudge it somehow... My baby finger is pretty strong...I can do bends with it but 5 frets...fuggetaboudit!

benjwri1707

Blues Newbie
I'm talking about spanning 5 frets...say 1st finger is on the 2nd fret, I can't reach the 6 th fret with my baby finger. Or am I reading this wrong?

Norfolk Bill

norfolk uk, just knoodling along
why would you want to? :) i think your reading it wrong,,, furthest stretch is four frets,, ie a G shape A would be bar on 2nd fret pinky on the A fifth fret

All your doing is using open chords and replacing the guitar nut with your barring finger,, so say look at an open G and just move it up one fret and place bar on the fiirst fret,,this would give you a Gsharp/Ab

Last edited:

Thatman

Playin' for the fun of it.
The fingering and the fret spans to use are quite clear in the manual so it's hard to see where the 5 fret issue comes from.

Norfolk Bill

norfolk uk, just knoodling along
theres the answer..nothing to do with caged chords at all then :),,,you mean in a standard blues shuffle,,,,you just have to practice and stretch a bit more each time

BoogieMan

Blues Junior
Has a lot to do with how you hold your guitar. Griff has a technique that involves making the stretch while the guitar is lying face down on your lap and then bringing it back up to playing position. I'm not sure where I've seen that but maybe someone else can help.