caged chord progression

Mike A

BLUES NOODLER
in todays all access live Griff was doing caged chord progressions and the the pentatonic scale inside the chords...i have asked people about this and they looked at me like a dog looks at a new bowl..some of you guys were calling it the little wing lesson...can anyone give this a name..i want to understand this and learn how to do it..

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
in todays all access live Griff was doing caged chord progressions and the the pentatonic scale inside the chords...i have asked people about this and they looked at me like a dog looks at a new bowl..some of you guys were calling it the little wing lesson...can anyone give this a name..i want to understand this and learn how to do it..

It's CAGED Unleashed, Mike.
The Little Wing Lesson is in the BGU Insiders section.

Mike A

BLUES NOODLER
thanks paparaptor..i understand it's the caged unleashed coarse CU i own the DVD set ..it's doing the pentatonic scale with the corresponding chords ..or the chords with the corresponding pentatonic scale..i have seen and heard it done but until today i have not been able to get anyone to explain it to me...i tried to talk to my old guitar teacher about it and he was clueless just like me. think it is the coolest thing to play a chord and then the pentatonic scale on top of it...OK Never mind it's in the Caged unleashed lessons.i just went back and watched them:oops: ...now to catch up on playing on the 6th for the june challenge thanks:)

Randy S

Blues Junior
I was not on the conference but I think I understand what you are asking.
The concept is playing the major pentatonic scale that corresponds to the root of the chord over a major chord and the minor pentatonic scale that corresponds to the root of the chord over a minor chord
Example- a chord progression of G, Am, C, D . You would play G major pentatonic, Am pentatonic, C major pentatonic, D major pentatonic over their respective chords .
As Paparaptor points out this what Griff teaches in the Little Wing lesson and is a common soloing approach. By the way, all of those scales can be played in the same position on the fretboard.

Mike A

BLUES NOODLER
I was not on the conference but I think I understand what you are asking.
The concept is playing the major pentatonic scale that corresponds to the root of the chord over a major chord and the minor pentatonic scale that corresponds to the root of the chord over a minor chord
Example- a chord progression of G, Am, C, D . You would play G major pentatonic, Am pentatonic, C major pentatonic, D major pentatonic over their respective chords .
As Paparaptor points out this what Griff teaches in the Little Wing lesson and is a common soloing approach. By the way, all of those scales can be played in the same position on the fretboard.

that was a awesome response..thank you..(y) no one has been able to explain that to me. and i have not been able to explain to people in the past what i was trying to say...thanks

Randy S

Blues Junior
Thanks.

A couple of other tidbits about this approach. Using the chord progression example mentioned and playing from the G on the 6th string facing right (the E position in CAGED) the boxes would be:

G chord- box 2 Major
Am chord- box 5 minor
C Chord- box 5 Major
D chord- box 4 Major

Each of those boxes would contain the root, the 3rd (either Major or minor) and the 5th of that chord, plus 2 other notes as "embellishments". So by playing using this method you are emphasizing the chord tones of each chord.

And if you combine those boxes you have the G Major scale which is the scale this chord progression is built from.

CVTOT

Blues Newbie
A couple of other tidbits about this approach. Using the chord progression example mentioned and playing from the G on the 6th string facing right (the E position in CAGED) the boxes would be:

So then for each of the four boxes you mention above, the box would start on the G note [6th string 3rd fret] and you would either play box 2 of the G major scale, box 5 of the Am scale, etc?

Randy S

Blues Junior
So then for each of the four boxes you mention above, the box would start on the G note [6th string 3rd fret] and you would either play box 2 of the G major scale, box 5 of the Am scale, etc?
You could start anywhere in the box. Two conventions are common. The first is start from the root or the 3rd of the chord that you are playing to highlight the chord change. The other convention is to change boxes to the next available note when the chord changes. Easy to show but a little difficult to explain - I will try with an example using 1/4 notes:

On the G chord (box 2):
High E string frets 5 then 3
B string frets 5 then 3

Change to Am chord (box 5):
G string frets 5 then 2
D string frets 5 then 2

Change to C chord (still box 5 but the C is now the root):
A string frets 5 then 3
Low E string frets 5 then 3

Change to D chord (box 4):
Low E string frets 2 then 5
A string frets 2 then 5

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
You could start anywhere in the box. Two conventions are common. The first is start from the root or the 3rd of the chord that you are playing to highlight the chord change. The other convention is to change boxes to the next available note when the chord changes. Easy to show but a little difficult to explain - I will try with an example using 1/4 notes:

On the G chord (box 2):
High E string frets 5 then 3
B string frets 5 then 3

Change to Am chord (box 5):
G string frets 5 then 2
D string frets 5 then 2

Change to C chord (still box 5 but the C is now the root):
A string frets 5 then 3
Low E string frets 5 then 3

Change to D chord (box 4):
Low E string frets 2 then 5
A string frets 2 then 5

I'm still a little confused.
1a) When you say "On the G chord (box 2):" or "Change to Am chord (box 5):" or... are you talking about the boxes in G or in each of the chord "roots"?
For instance: Am box 5 is not the same as C box 5...
1b) If you change to the box for the chord root, how do you play
all of those scales can be played in the same position on the fretboard.

2) you only list two strings for each chord. Can all strings be used?

IS this what you are talking about?...

2018-05-25_1057.png

Randy S

Blues Junior
I'm still a little confused.
1a) When you say "On the G chord (box 2):" or "Change to Am chord (box 5):" or... are you talking about the boxes in G or in each of the chord "roots"?
For instance: Am box 5 is not the same as C box 5...
1b) If you change to the box for the chord root, how do you play

2) you only list two strings for each chord. Can all strings be used?

IS this what you are talking about?...

View attachment 5218
Try this picture and see if that clears it up.

Attachments

• G Major.pdf
    42.2 KB · Views: 19

CVTOT

Blues Newbie
So then when the Am chord is being played you solo with the notes in box 5 and when the D chord is being played you solo using the notes in box 4? Also, why is D using box 4? Why not box 3, the same two root notes are used in box 3?

Randy S

Blues Junior
By the way the other two chords in G Major would be Bm (the iii chord) and Em (the vi chord). Bm would also be Box 4 with roots at the 5th string 2nd fret and 3rd string 4th fret. Em would also be Box 2 with roots at the 4th string 2nd fret and 2nd string 5th fret.

G Major would also have an F# dim (vii chord) but that chord is rarely used and does not go with any of the standard pentatonic boxes.

Randy S

Blues Junior
So then when the Am chord is being played you solo with the notes in box 5 and when the D chord is being played you solo using the notes in box 4?

That is correct

Also, why is D using box 4? Why not box 3, the same two root notes are used in box 3?
Box 3 with that root is minor and you are playing over a Major chord

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
Some of the confusion arises from choosing the pentatonic Box shapes, rather than the CAGED chord shapes.

A demo of both, using the G Am C D progression and the diagram Randy provided. (5:31)

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/k7y5i7v85nbphhy/G Am C D.mp4?dl=0

Once you start associating the scales with the chord shapes, you eliminate the confusion causes by Box numbers.

Major pentatonic over the E Major shape is Box 2, but now you associate it with the shape, rather than the number.
Minor pentatonic over the E minor shape is Box 1, but again, but now associated with the shape, not the number.

Either one over an E7 shape.

Last edited:

Mike A

BLUES NOODLER
Some of the confusion arises from choosing the pentatonic Box shapes, rather than the CAGED chord shapes.

A demo of both, using the G Am C D progression and the diagram Randy provided. (5:31)

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/k7y5i7v85nbphhy/G Am C D.mp4?dl=0

Once you start associating the scales with the chord shapes, you eliminate the confusion causes by Box numbers.

Major pentatonic over the E Major shape is Box 2, but now you associate it with the shape, rather than the number.
Minor pentatonic over the E minor shape is Box 1, but again, but now associated with the shape, not the number.

Either one over an E7 shape.

I Got it!(y) Great :)that was a great Demo..i downloaded it..thank you..after a couple of times of watching this i should have it...thanks for taking your time out to make this video (y)