caged and penatonic

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
Am I wrong, and no I havent finished the course yet,staying with C until I get to 60 bpm on changes

It seems like each shape also corresponds to a penatonic box..........or is it just coincidence so far ?

it seems like E shape is box 1, d shape is box 2...........does this continue ?

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
Most definitely and major scale for that matter and throw in some arpeggios and chord tones and pretty soon you don't need no boxes

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
Am I wrong, and no I havent finished the course yet,staying with C until I get to 60 bpm on changes

It seems like each shape also corresponds to a penatonic box..........or is it just coincidence so far ?

I would think that the G shape would be box 1 and the E shape would be box 2. This would be the way I first learned the boxes from several instructors as minor and not Major. So the G Major block would be the same as the Emin block we know as block 1.

benjwri1707

Blues Newbie

Actually box 1 is G maj shape (E min shape) and yes it continues through all 5 boxes. Box 2 is E maj shape (D min shape) ETC.

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
Most definitely and major scale for that matter and throw in some arpeggios and chord tones and pretty soon you don't need no boxes

Hope I didn't confuse anyone, l was only addressing that the course did progress as Mark was asking, not what the relations were

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
OK. I just finished DVD 2 for the first time. Here's the thing. So far, we are not talking about pentatonic boxes. We are talking about the "shapes" of the chord. C, A, G, E, D, not block 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. So it's a different lexican. It does however have a lot of similarities and parallels.

Norfolk Bill

norfolk uk, just knoodling along
mtman they are there,,, for instance form/play an e chord using the C shape at the 7th fret ie bar on the fourth and the major scale is right under your finger tips,,, play an E with a standard A shape bar chord and the minor is right under your finger tips
this might help

Last edited:

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
mtman they are there,,, for instance form/play an e chord using the C shape at the 7th fret ie bar on the fourth and the major scale is right under your finger tips,,, play an E with a standard A shape bar chord and the minor is right under your finger tips
this might help

You missed my point. My point was Griff isn't talking the Pent Blocks. He is talking the Chord Shapes. I've no difficulty with either one. :Beer:

Norfolk Bill

well yes but the blocks are there as i say under your fingers :) ive got the course but as ever unopened lol, but again say you play an A chord G shape then you can play the A major scale without moving the bar finger

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
well yes but the blocks are there as i say under your fingers :) ive got the course but as ever unopened lol, but again say you play an A chord G shape then you can play the A major scale without moving the bar finger
You need to open the course Bill. You will see that the A barr and the G barr are actually 2 frets apart.

Norfolk Bill

we may well be at cross purposes here :),,im actually getting a new phone at some point today so may do a little video to explain better what im trying to say, and see if its what you mean lol

ok let me start again just get your guitar , and try this,,,,play a G shape A chord with pinky on the 5th fret of the low E string and ring finger on fourth fret of the A string,, bar across at the secong fret.
you will notice that right under your fingers is the A major scale,,,leaving the bar in place you have the A there already with your pinky

Last edited: