C7 Question

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
I know I started this topic but honestly - it's not that I was having trouble playing it, it's because it was written two different ways in the book and I wasn't sure which way was right - I guess I'm too inexperienced to know I was supposed to have trouble playing it.  I'm sure in the future I will experience plenty of chords that I will swear my fingers won't reach.

;D ;D Hey Irish.... count on it!  ;D ;D

L

Lame_Pinky

I know I started this topic but honestly - it's not that I was having trouble playing it, it's because it was written two different ways in the book and I wasn't sure which way was right - I guess I'm too inexperienced to know I was supposed to have trouble playing it.  I'm sure in the future I will experience plenty of chords that I will swear my fingers won't reach.
Matt there was one thing that you failed to mention however, is the C7 you refer to as haveing the E1st string in the open position ( index finger 2nd string 1st fret ) & is the C7 shaped chord that has the E1st string muted or not played (x) in a different position ( further up the neck ) ? If it is this would explain things as you don't play the E1st string when you have moved the C7 shaped cord up the neck.

LP

I

IrishRover

Yeah LP - it's in the first position - you'll see where my confusion came from when you get your copy of BBG.  On page 28 the diagram shows the #1 e string muted but on page 31 in the Deep Sea Blues it is shown open.  I didn't have a problem playing it either way - open or muted.  Just didn't know which one was right.

johnc

systematic
No worries Matt, so long as you now know that there are many different ways to finger the same chord.
You don't always need to play all the strings or every note, just the ones that tell the story.

As you go more into this you will come across many variations and partial chords.

J

jlosee

I'm comforted to see others are struggling with C7.  I work it and work it and make very little progress, unless I play it very slow. I know it'll come someday!

C

Chris1004

Hey guys-

It's already been said that the 1st string E is optional on the open C7, but you should probably try playing it both ways (muting it and open).

The reason I would suggest that you practice muting (or just not playing) that top string is because the C7 open form actually becomes a moveable chord form if you don't play the top string, and one that's a little easier than barre chords.  For example, if you take the C7 shape and move it up so that it starts on the 7th fret and play the middle 4 strings, you now have an E7 cord.  Move the whole shape down one fret- BAM- Eb7.  That third finger will always be the root of the chord as long as you keep the form constant.  

Not sure if this info was posted earlier, but just my two cents.

Happy playin' guys

Chuck

Moderator (One of the Men in Black!)
Staff member
That is very true Chris. I mentioned it in reply #10 of this thread but you did a better job explaining it.

C

Chris1004

Hey Chuck-

Thanks man- I wasn't sure if it had been brought up cause it was a long post and I didn't go through all the replies.  Didn't mean to step on your toes brotha!!

Chuck

Moderator (One of the Men in Black!)
Staff member
Chris! You didn't step on any toes and like I said, you said with better clarity!