C7 Question

I

IrishRover

In the BBG book the C7 diagram on page 28 shows the #1 string with an x so I've been muting it when strumming chords - however on page 30 in the tab for Deep Sea Blues shows it as an open string.  Is it open or muted or doesn't it matter?

P

propanemike

high "e" [floor side] should be open in every chord chart i have seen.
low 'e' [roof side] muted

J

jhagan421

Yep.  The Root C is on the 5th string. so no 6th string in an open C chord.

Edit...The musical notation  is also written having an "E" note as the top or Root note of the chord.  Matt Have you sent Griff a PM?  - I'm hoping to start this one in a few days.

(yeah that's righ Im practicing) :)

(double edit)...I had this whole thing backward :eek: ::)

johnc

systematic
That high E is optional so it just depends on the voice you want your chord to have.

E in this chord is the major 3rd which is fairly essential but you are also playing an E note on the 4th string fret 2. so it is just an extra E.

I

IrishRover

I checked in a couple of other books I have here and both show it with an open #1 string so I think that's the way I'll play it unless a specific reason comes up that says I shouldn't.  Thanks for the guidance. :cool:

Josh - the shoulder must be feeling better then - how does that new strat feel?

J

jhagan421

Thanks John.
I'll play it how ever Griff suggests just not very well :p, C7 is a tough one to grab clean, If I play through at speed I usually end up just playing Cmaj :-[

IR - The strat Feels..NEW :).  I do like it, after a couple of days I'm getting used to the extra weight, and huge drop in size :-?.  I feel the progress and the speed of the fingers (relative speed for me that is) coming back. the real chalenge is getting used to the amp - there is no forgiveness if you touch something it gets heard!

Since it was brought up the only thing about is the feel fo the fingerboard.  I think it needs a bit of conditioning.  I bought my Yamaha used and the fingerboard is like butter.  I don't know if I'll ever be able to play that one again :'(, maybe a traveler or a bowl-back someday.

OK back to work

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
I'm with John. 99.9% of the time the C has the open high E but chords are flexible ( as long as you cover the actual notes in the chord) so if you like the way it sounds witht the E muted, play it that way.

I

IrishRover

Actually, Mike, it sounds better open and when Griff plays it on the DVD it is open even though the diagram in the lower left corner of the screen has an X over both E strings - I'm gonna play it open 'cause that's the way it sounds best to me - so there :cool:

gpower

Blues Junior
John and Mike are right on here. You'll play chords different way to change the feel of your playing. Like Griff talks about with the small chords, playing chords with different voicings can really enhance your playing.

I

IrishRover

I agree Gary - just for that song with the other chords that are used I'm gonna play it open - in another situation I may play it muted.  It will always depend on the situation.

Chuck

Moderator (One of the Men in Black!)
Staff member
The way I fret the C7 chord, the first string is naturally muted with my index finger. The muting will be necessary as that chord shape moves up the neck so I always muted the first string while playing the C7. Like everyone has said, it will be whatever chord voicing you prefer.

L

Lame_Pinky

The best way to play the C7 from my point of view- apart from going for a smoke break whenever it arises- is on the 8th fret E7 shaped bar chord - now thats how to do it !

LP

B

bplavoie

What is it with the open C7?? It doesn't look any harder than any number of open chords on paper, but it seems to trip everyone up in one way or another (including me even after a year of playing it  :p)

JD1

Blues Newbie
Brian...

i am so with you on that!!... i can hit a C  with my eyes closed and guitar behind my head  ;)   .....but give me a C7 and i will trip up every time....

L

Lame_Pinky

As soon as I get settled in my new abode  :-? , I plan to start a revolutionary movement that will have as its # 1 goal the complete removal of the C7 chord & severe punishment metered out to anyone who plays it !

LP

J

jhagan421

What is it with the open C7?? It doesn't look any harder than any number of open chords on paper, but it seems to trip everyone up in one way or another (including me even after a year of playing it  :p)

its tucking that pinky in underneath, it just don't feel natural

J

jhagan421

As soon as I get settled in my new abode  :-? , I plan to start a revolutionary movement that will have as its # 1 goal the complete removal of the C7 chord & severe punishment metered out to anyone who plays it !

LP

LP you're scaring me

johnc

systematic
Whatever it takes, get used to that C7 fingering if your gonna play the blues. It's one of the most popular.

There are much harder chords on the way without trying to scare you.

Put your fingers in the correct position and accurately tap the Chord on and off 60 times each day.  It will only take a minute.  You will be surprised how that will help.

Russ

Blues Newbie
John C, as much as that statement made me giggle, it makes perfect sense.  ;)

LP Good one. ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

I

IrishRover

I know I started this topic but honestly - it's not that I was having trouble playing it, it's because it was written two different ways in the book and I wasn't sure which way was right - I guess I'm too inexperienced to know I was supposed to have trouble playing it.  I'm sure in the future I will experience plenty of chords that I will swear my fingers won't reach.