Buzzing Strings

SlowBlues

Blues Newbie
Do strings streach as you practice? They are new strings, but about after 10 or 15 minutes they start buzzing.  It does not seem to be my hand getting tired, as pressing harder doesn't help.  Thanks  [smiley=undecided.gif]

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Not if you are playing steel strings. Well, they stretch a tiny bit, but not enough to cause buzzing. Fret buzz is almost always caused by either having the action set to low or by having a high fret.

TexasWillie

Blues Newbie
Also check All of your hardware, screws, and nuts.

A loose nut can sound just like a fret buzz.
So, I guess what you're saying is I sound like a fret buzz? ;D

Like my Computer Tech says....."Most computer problems can be traced to a loose nut behind the keyboard" ;)

TW  :)

panther

Blues Newbie
If you have put new stings on, and failed to pre-stretch them, at least 3 timers and re-tune, they will go out of tune rather quickly, but I don't think to the point of buzzing, but maybe they can ? I'm not completely sure.
Dan

L

Lame_Pinkey

Could be many things to cause this , without being able to see you play your guitar & see what the cause might be we are all speculating. Pre-stretching (or not) would not cause any buzz as even if the strings dropped a whole step it should not cause buzz - I have several guitars in standard tuning but a whole step lower...no buzz.
Could it be something you're doing ? Like are your fingernails to long or do you get a little careless after playing for a while & then start fingering your notes  further back from the fret wire - rather than up close to it ?
These things can cause buzz but as I said we are speculating here , hope you find out what it is  [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

LP   :cool:

mark

Blues Newbie
My semi-hollow Gibson buzzes in a few spots, but I only hear the buzz when it's not plugged in. I don't hear the buzz through the amp. Is that common?

Jon3b

Blues Newbie
My semi-hollow Gibson buzzes in a few spots, but I only hear the buzz when it's not plugged in. I don't hear the buzz through the amp. Is that common?

Very common. Especially with low actions. However, since you've stated that it's only in a few spots... this is generally an indication of low (or high) frets. Sometimes simply raising the action slightly will clear up most of it. Have a good guitar tech look it over if it's really a problem.  ;)

Elio

Student Of The Blues
My semi-hollow Ibanez did the same thing after the last time it was set up. The tech considered it normal although I find it distracting, particularly since I tend to practice without the amp when it's late at night. Raising the action just slightly pretty much eliminated the buzz.

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
My semi-hollow Ibanez did the same thing after the last time it was set up. The tech considered it normal although I find it distracting, particularly since I tend to practice without the amp when it's late at night. Raising the action just slightly pretty much eliminated the buzz.

Not to be mean, but...

Seriously, I would question the competency of the “tech”.  If a guitar has a buzz it has a problem!   I am glad you solve it.

Tom

Elio

Student Of The Blues
I have to admit I thought the same thing. His argument was that you couldn't hear the buzz through the amp and it is after all, an electric guitar. I find that unless I'm wearing headphones and don't hear it, I end up paying more attention to the buzz than my playing. Fortunately it was a very easy fix.