Buddy Guy

Shodai

Blues Junior
So I went to see Buddy Guy last night. With the recent posts about BB King's advancing age and failing memory negatively impacting his performances I was a little unsure of what to expect from the 78 year old Buddy Guy.

Started the show with his signature song "Damn right I've got the blues", then went right in to "Hoochie Coochie Man", and a very long list of other great blues songs.

He interacted with the audience, and put on one hell of a show. At 78 years old this guy is still a great performer and I am very glad that I got to see his show.

If any of you have been following Buddy Guy, then you know he has been bringing up his Protégé, Quinn Sullivan. Sullivan was discovered by Buddy at the age of 7. He just turned 15, already has two CD's released, and was just signed to a major label. At 15 this kid can really rip it up.

Another recent thread discussed left handed guitars. As you'll see from the pic of this kid, he's a south paw, but plays right handed.

I forgot my camera, but I know that without pictures it did not happen. I took a couple of not so good shots with my cell phone.

Got the Blues? Damn right I got the blues. After watching these two I might as well just set my guitars on fire.

Crossroads

Thump the Bottom
Saw him last summer @ Woodstock, Quinn was a no show and they didn't say why.

Two years ago my son and I had front row center @ Pace University. Buddy tried for about 10 minutes to play something Quinn couldn't replicate, with no luck.
Incredible show.

I filmed most of the concert on my flip but missed that part. At the end of the concert after Buddy shook our hands, his guitar player with the dreadlocks came up to us and said "Did I see you filming the concert?"

I thought, oh crap now we're in trouble. I sad "Yeah but it's just for us, I'm not trying to bootleg it. He gave me his card and said "would you send me a copy?"

And your exactly right Shodai, all the masters are getting old, and if they are not gone already, they will be soon. So get out and see em while you still can.

david moon

Attempting the Blues
I'm a big Buddy fan.
Seeing him later this month, glad to hear the good review.
I'm a Buddy fan- in small doses...

With regard to his protege being a lefty, I'm the same way- write with left hand and pretty much everything else right handed. With tools sometimes I'll switch hands to get a better access to whatever I'm working on.