Brown Eyed Squirrel/ Big World

D

djr29hxty369

Works in progress, unplugged.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=QWtE4KSdbtl

The above link is not working correctly for some reason unknown (I go to my Youtube Account and the vid plays perfectly). Anyway, I've uploaded again, let's see what happens now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CZ68XfdDOU

PS: D minor is not my favorite chord (OK on electric but accoustic it's another matter)

too big for 4shared

wgabree

Blues Newbie
:-(  got this:

novideo.jpg

L

Lame_Pinkey

Its working now.Sounds to me like your high E is muted, is the bottom of your hand touching it or is it a finger ? that will come good though.
Sounding pretty much in time with it just a bit more practice to iron out the kinks but they are not a huge worry at this stage - timing is more important.I think your picking technique is interesting, its sort of flapping around like a flag in the breeze.you want to try & keep a steady pick at right angles to the strings, generally speaking.there is ofcourse movement but it should be as minimal as possible.
I know you said playing guitar is new to you butyou will find these things along the way.
Keep at it you are doing a good job.

LP - hope you don't mind me being honest ?

Ray_UK

Blues Newbie
You're further along with Brown Eyed Squirrel than Big World but judging by your quick progress with the other lessons I'm guessing you are well on the way. I like the 2 songs in one take idea... I think I'd have trouble with that at the moment [I need a cold one  [smiley=beer.gif] after trying to record  ;) ]

D

djr29hxty369

Sounds to me like your high E is muted, is the bottom of your hand touching it or is it a finger ?I think your picking technique is interesting

Yeah, I could hear the muted string, probably a finger. Using a .50mm pick which has a smooth surface, felt like it was slipping out from between my fingers all the time, I've got a .88 pick, the writing on it is raised so it may allow a firmer grip; I'm gonna try that. On electric I use a 2.0mm pick which really feels like your holding onto something.  Also need to practice chord changes to D minor, it's the shift to strings 1, 2 and 3 that's the problem there. I've only tried Brown Eyed Squirrel / Big World from Wednesday, that was on electric, only tried them on acoustic from Saturday. Will probably upload improved versions next week.

L

Lame_Pinkey

the open D minor is not an easy chord to play for many people.It involves a bit of a stretch, especially those of us that were not blessed with Johnny Winter or Jimi Hendrix type fingers.It also necessitates an awkward bending of the hand position to make that stretch.If you had a dollar for every time I have played an open D minor out of pure desire to play it, then you'd probably have about 10 bucks !
One way that may make it easier is if you form an open D using your middle,ring & pinky then place your index finger on the 1st string/1st fret , lift your ring finger & hey Presto - instant open D minor.Try it & see if it is more comfortable to you.

LP

D

djr29hxty369

One way that may make it easier is if you form an open D using your middle,ring & pinky then place your index finger on the 1st string/1st fret , lift your ring finger & hey Presto - instant open D minor.Try it & see if it is more comfortable to you

Yeah, just reading it makes sense, will give it a go. Changed pick to .88, that seems better; also, the change to the D minor chord is improving on acoustic, it's OK on electric. What I am going to do is play acoustic for about 20 minutes every day as there's plenty in BBG that'll work. Been working on Little Mary's Lamb, so far I've only played it on acoustic.

10 bucks eh; convert that to sterling and you wouldn't have enough to by 5L of petrol.

Spencer

Blues Newbie
Nice work with the chords. You did a good job. For just a little constructive criticism I'd recommend spending extra time on your strumming technique. I found myself pretty tense that the pick was gonna fall out of your hand.
    Honestly, it almost seemed like you were playing arpeggios as opposed to strumming chords, which really makes unwanted muted strings or small mistakes stand out more.
    I think you're doing an AWESOME job and flying through the course, so I hope you don't think I'm ripping it or anything. This will just come up more and more as you play. Good work.

wgabree

Blues Newbie
Ok - second link worked for me. :)

You are coming along fine; most of your difficulties will resolve themselves as you build up your finger strength.

Like Spencer mentioned, the strumming technique may need some experimentation.

I think Griff mentions this, but the strumming comes form the forearm, not the wrist.

When I'm strumming, my forearm is pumping the beat continuously.  I move the pick in if I want a strum on that beat/upbeat.  But I keep it going - it's like a metronome.  It gives the strumming a stronger drive and greater rhythmic accuracy.

Take another look at Griff's strumming lessons on the DVDs (sorry, I don't have them with me - try in the most popular strum in the world section).

Keep 'em coming!!  :cool:

D

djr29hxty369

Take another look at Griff's strumming lessons on the DVDs (sorry, I don't have them with me - try in the most popular strum in the world section).

Keep 'em coming!!  :cool:

All comments noted; will go over Griff's strumming lessons. Sometimes I feel like I'm trying to adapt keyboard technique (where playing involves a rotating wrist) to fit guitar (I'm sure guitarist who take up keyboards feel the same about how they have to adapt). Fretting at first seemed strange as most movement tends to be across the strings rather than up and down the fretboard, but I recently had positive feedback about how relaxed my fretting looked, also feel ok with alternate picking, just need to do the same now for strumming.

Is any musician a natural? Joe Bonamassa on the idea that guitar playing came easy to him, 'No, I've worked very hard at it, I'm not a natural talent' (Total Guitar, March 2011). BB King's advice, 'knuckle down and get the hell on with it' (quote from same JB article). Nuff said. [smiley=beer.gif] 

wgabree

Blues Newbie
Is any musician a natural? Joe Bonamassa on the idea that guitar playing came easy to him, 'No, I've worked very hard at it, I'm not a natural talent' (Total Guitar, March 2011). BB King's advice, 'knuckle down and get the hell on with it' (quote from same JB article). Nuff said. [smiley=beer.gif] 

It's my firm conviction that anyone can learn to play any instrument - if they have the desire, persistence and the willingness to not be good at it while they are learning.

:cool:

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Great first attempt Dovydas. The others have said it all. Stick with it and it will come.

D

djr29hxty369

'It's my firm conviction that anyone can learn to play any instrument - if they have the desire, persistence and the willingness to not be good at it while they are learning.' (Wayne, 19 Feb)

I'd agree with that Wayne; but most people prefer to do other things (watch sports for example) rather than practice.