Breaking something 'simple' down further

L

Lame_Pinky

Ahh ok thanks Al I was not sure about it appreciate the clarification.

LP

johnc

systematic
I might have to invest in Riffmaster. My software seems to lose it anything less that 60% which is still lightning fast where Griff is concerned.

L

Lame_Pinky

I think the maximum you can reduce the speed on Riffmaster is 30 % but I find it hard to listen to anything if its dropped by 20 % ( which is 80 % of the normal speed - ya with me ? ) it is just too slow, 85 is a good speed i think but that also depends on what it is you are trying to learn as well !

LP

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
You can set RiffMaster as low as 20% of normal speed, and I agree that it sounds terrible, but the notes are true and you can slow solo #4  bar 20-21 down enough to be able to hear that Griff does two slight bends (tremolo) on one not and only one bend on the next. It's pretty cool. Now, the hard part is getting my fingers to play that phrase any higher than 60% of full speed.

D

davemoss

LP,

The problem with these early BBG lessons is ....there is only one version.....the slow one!!!!!!!

so when you are having problems it initially feels stupid to slow it down. However as they say there is no stupid question in learning so if slowing it down even further using something like riffmaster works then that is the way to go. Tonight I hope to double the speed of my practice. Though 2 bpm does seem quite fast  :eek: ;D

cheers

Al.

A pro guitarist I know told me that he was on the same bill as an absolutely top notch classical guitarist called Julian Bream who did a 2 hour practice session before the concert. All he did was work through his entire set, playing it very, very, very slowly and precisely.

I think we all want to get up to speed as quickly as possible but I have been told so many times that slow is good for me that I have now started playing some notoriously fast pieces slowly and it's turning out to be a lot of fun ;D

Today I was playing Wipeout slowly with a swing feel, and Thunderstuck by AD/DC is a real challenge to get nice and even if you play it slowly with pull offs.

C

Charlie_13

I have been working on solo 1 of BGU and have been also learning to change to a electric from a accoustic. The Telecaster feels good and it is easyer to bend the strings but I am still having trouble with the sixth bar with the "tweedle, pulloff and bend in one bar. I sit down and practice that bar for half an hour then think I have got it right. I start the solo and when I get to bar six all hell breaks out. back to another replay of that bar. It is getting better but it just takes practice and the drive to make it happen.
It does get easyer as you learn more, but it still takes work. Remember it is all fun.

560sdl

Blues Newbie
I have been working on solo 1 of BGU and have been also learning to change to a electric from a accoustic. The Telecaster feels good and it is easyer to bend the strings but I am still having trouble with the sixth bar with the "tweedle, pulloff and bend in one bar. I sit down and practice that bar for half an hour then think I have got it right. I start the solo and when I get to bar six all hell breaks out. back to another replay of that bar. It is getting better but it just takes practice and the drive to make it happen.
It does get easyer as you learn more, but it still takes work. Remember it is all fun.

That tripped me up too...............for a long time.  Funny thing was, when I was playing along with no backing track, I could do it fine.  Trying to keep up with the backing track threw me off.  It was very frustrating and that is still usually the first place I mess up.

Just slow it down and close your eyes and feel it.  That helped me.