Breaking something 'simple' down further

Ray_UK

Blues Newbie
I seem to be having a lot of trouble with something I suspect is meant to be an easy thing.

I'm on P25 of BBG, the first strum pattern - I understand the pattern & how it's written in the Tab Ok but when I come to play it I'm actually trying to count aloud the 1&2&3&4& plus remember how many bars I've played [which kind of blurs as the beat takes you across the bar] & remember [& find] the fingering on the next chord change.

I know it's possible, but I can't put it all together because as soon as I concentrate on one aspect, I lose my place in one of the others. If I could just place my fingers in the right place for the chords without thinking about it I know I'd progress but I so far can't get that automatic brain/hand thing going. I know the chords & so long as I look at my left hand I can place my fingers & play them clean but I just can't do it without [literally] missing a beat.

I've played those chord positions more times than I can count but it just won't happen without 'thinking' - maybe I'm having one of those bad days but I need a trick or technique or something or I just don't see how I move forward.

Boy, just read that back & it sounds like a whinge  ::) sorry about that but I am feeling a bit stuck on this & it seems to be fundamental and I'd really appreciate some ideas :)

Al Holloway

Devizes UK
Ray,

I find when I get caught like that the best way is not to try to do it all. Try to get the progression right first. I.E. play the correct cords in the right order the right number of times but don't worry to much about timing. Then try to get the timing of the individual bars correct but don't worry if the chord change takes a bit long. Then try to get the cord change in the right timing. On this last one slowing down the strumming till you are at a speed where the cord change happens at real time helps, then speed up. Don't worry about going slower than Griff suggests if it helps. I have been struggling with sitting easy blues. I could play it OK at about the right pace on my own but as soon as I tried to accompany Griff I went to pieces. Finally got it going at 80% then speeded up and nailed it at 100%. Then the next set of licks somehow seemed so much easier. But I guess that is called progress!!

cheers

Al.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Ray, you will get there, it's just going to take time. We all want to sound like Griff, but in reality it's taken him 20 years to sound like that. I can only reiterate what Al has said. Slow the track down until you can play it in time, don't worry about watching your fingers for now, watch them if you need to.

JD1

Blues Newbie
Ray,

That happens to me more often than i can count. Something i do when this happens (might work for ya), i just play simple 1/4 note down stokes through the whole progression as many times and as slow as it takes to get the chord changes down to the timing....then i will start practicing with the strum pattern with the chord changes...again as slow and as many times as it takes... Not much, but might help....

stratogeezer

Blues Newbie
Ray, I've done my share of whining too..
Keep banging away the best you can and it will come.
In my case it always comes much later than I want but it does come with practice.
Lots and lots of practice.
Sometimes it's best to move on and make the things you are having trouble with part of your daily practice routine.

Ray_UK

Blues Newbie
Thanks guys :)

I will definately slow it right down to get those chord changes working & maybe try the next pattern & D7 as well just to keep the feeling of moving forward going.

Had a break for the rest of the day too :)

J

jhagan421

Ray just chiming in to further the you are not alone theme,
-but the Process that Al runs through makes sense - Counting out loud for me is basically giving up on playing anything acurrately, but by not counting or accompanying Griff, My timeing as quite poor.  I think it's just part of the process, unfortunately ;)

Ray_UK

Blues Newbie
That sounds familiar Josh... no wonder they call it a journey!

It's a lot of fun though  :cool:
[except just once in a while when you have a day when it doesn't feel like it's ever gonna work :) ]

B

bplavoie

Before BBG, all I ever did was play along with songs on the radio or internet, and so never worried about trying to count out the timing. After playing off an on for almost 2 years, I'm just getting to the point where I can count something out consistently, probably because I don't have to spend as much time about making the chords sound right and changing between them.

I guess what I'm saying is keep plugging away - it all comes together eventually.

L

Lame_Pinky

I have not received my BBG yet - c'mon Griff get the lead out ! - so again not aware of the particular exercise you are talking about.Does the BBG course show the exercises in a slow then normal pace like BGU ? If it does & I suspect this maybe th case play along with Griff in the slow version paying particular attention to chord changes & timing once you are able to do that without watching Griff or reading the tab then try it without the DVD - just you at same pace & timing.When comfortable with that then step up to the normal pace & basically do the same thing - except it should not take you long as you would have chords & changes & timing almost there.

LP

ps if there is no slow version please disregard all the above  ;)
..but you can always get  Riffmaster Pro to slow it down.

D

davemoss

I seem to be having a lot of trouble with something I suspect is meant to be an easy thing.

I'm on P25 of BBG, the first strum pattern - I understand the pattern & how it's written in the Tab Ok but when I come to play it I'm actually trying to count aloud the 1&2&3&4& plus remember how many bars I've played [which kind of blurs as the beat takes you across the bar] & remember [& find] the fingering on the next chord change.

I know it's possible, but I can't put it all together because as soon as I concentrate on one aspect, I lose my place in one of the others. If I could just place my fingers in the right place for the chords without thinking about it I know I'd progress but I so far can't get that automatic brain/hand thing going. I know the chords & so long as I look at my left hand I can place my fingers & play them clean but I just can't do it without [literally] missing a beat.

I've played those chord positions more times than I can count but it just won't happen without 'thinking' - maybe I'm having one of those bad days but I need a trick or technique or something or I just don't see how I move forward.

Boy, just read that back & it sounds like a whinge  ::) sorry about that but I am feeling a bit stuck on this & it seems to be fundamental and I'd really appreciate some ideas :)

Hi Ray, the way round counting and knowing which bar you're in is to count 1&2&3&4& 2&2&3&4& 3&2&3&4& etc.

Ray_UK

Blues Newbie
Dave - why didn't I think of that??!!  That gives me a technique that immediately solves one problem, leaving me more attention for keeping in the beat & getting the chord changes down.

LP, I have Riffmaster Pro & that's what I'll do - I'm re-fired with enthusiasm this morning & can't wait to get back at it & put into practice all your great ideas guys - thanks again all :)

Tim

Blues Newbie
Hey Ray!! How's it going. My chord changing improved (without missing time) by changing chords on the "& of 4".

So.... 1& 2& 3& 4(change), 1&2&3&4(change).  The strings will be open and you can barely hear the open strings during the strum on the change. As you improve you will forget this was even a challenge.

Give it a try.

Ray_UK

Blues Newbie
I'll try that - thanks Tim.

So when you are at 4& you strum the open strings? Or are you letting them ring from 4, missing the '&' then strumming '1'

Hope that's not a daft question :)

Tim

Blues Newbie
The "4" gets strummed (dont let them ring) the "&" after the 4 is an open string strum because your left hand has left the fretboard just after strumming the "4". The right hand keeps the time by continuing to strum. So... by the time your left hand reaches the new chord your are in place ready to strum the "1" strum.

I thought of something else that helps me. The "1" strum is a down beat and you can strum a little heavier (accent it) this helps with the intuition of where you are at. All other strums are "regular" and the "1" is embellished. Give that a try.

Believe it or not you soon will not count the measures. Your ear will say I need to move to the next chord in the progression for this to sound correct. I promise!!  It takes a while though.

I hope this makes sense.

Tim

J

jhagan421

Tim and Dave these are really good tips -  That's what I love about this forum - For the last day or so I've been working on almost nothing but that G7 C7 D7 progression - This discussion Is really helping me to progress

Al Holloway

Devizes UK
LP,

The problem with these early BBG lessons is ....there is only one version.....the slow one!!!!!!!

so when you are having problems it initially feels stupid to slow it down. However as they say there is no stupid question in learning so if slowing it down even further using something like riffmaster works then that is the way to go. Tonight I hope to double the speed of my practice. Though 2 bpm does seem quite fast  :eek: ;D

cheers

Al.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Guys, get used to slowing things down. I'm trying to learn Solo #4 in BGU and there is a phrase in bar 21 that even at 50% I could barely here it was so fast. I brought it down to 20% (I think that's as slow as RiffMaster will go) and started there. I'm only up to 60% now, but I'm getting there. Sometimes it doesn't take long at the slower speed to get it under your fingers, then you can speed it up pretty quickly.