Boxes

James77

Student of the Blues
Hey all, so I’ve played Box 1 to death! LOL! I’ve learned 1 2 and 3. Question is when I’m playing over a jam track, I’ll be trying to improvise with box 1, then add 2. It slows me down to use my pinky. If I’m just playing the scales, I’m fine with the pinky, but try to play with it, seems to slow me down. Do I have to use the pinky? Hope I’m making sense, thanks!!!

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
Hey all, so I’ve played Box 1 to death! LOL! I’ve learned 1 2 and 3. Question is when I’m playing over a jam track, I’ll be trying to improvise with box 1, then add 2. It slows me down to use my pinky. If I’m just playing the scales, I’m fine with the pinky, but try to play with it, seems to slow me down. Do I have to use the pinky? Hope I’m making sense, thanks!!!
Clapton doesn't

Zzzen Dog

Blues Junior
Only use your pinkie if it feels right to you.

Personally I'm comfortable with my pinkie, but don't feel that it's all that useful on the 2nd and 1st strings in the pentatonic, so I shift index, etc up a fret for those strings. I will use the pinkie to play the blues note at times on the 1st fret though.

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
depends, I use it, because I know my goal would eventually make me, I wanted to play fast legato licks................but, if your goal is mostly slow blues, then maybe not

JPsuff

Blackstar Artist
For straight Pentatonic stuff all you need are three fingers.

But when I discovered modes, I found that using my pinky was invaluable.
When I first began trying to use it, it was difficult to say the least. But over time it has developed and even strengthened to the point where I can even use it for vibrato when needed.

To me, developing my pinky is a little like insurance; it's better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it.

I'm glad I took the time to get it into the game.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
James, it really depends on where you are in your learning. If you've been playing for years and just feel more comfortable using your ring finger, then by all means, do that. But if you are new to soloing and you just haven't gotten used to using your pinky then I'd say keep using it until you are SURE that it's not the way to go for YOU. Many folks will be able to play faster if they use all 4 fingers (and maybe even the thumb) .

James77

Student of the Blues
James, it really depends on where you are in your learning. If you've been playing for years and just feel more comfortable using your ring finger, then by all means, do that. But if you are new to soloing and you just haven't gotten used to using your pinky then I'd say keep using it until you are SURE that it's not the way to go for YOU. Many folks will be able to play faster if they use all 4 fingers (and maybe even the thumb) .

Oh I’ve been playing since high school. I’m 43 now! Just feel more comfortable without the pinky, maybe I’ll take it up some day.

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
Always go with what's most comfortable for you.

Regardless of what anybody else (including me :sneaky:) tells you.

JPsuff

Blackstar Artist
I developed my pinky more out of necessity than anything else because I don't have large hands. Some of the licks I like to play require a stretch that I simply can't negotiate with just three fingers.

The higher up the fretboard I go the less "pinky-dependent" I tend to be (though I still use it because I've gotten so used to using it). But for playing modal licks way down towards the nut, "pnky-power" is a must for me! (y)

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
One advantage of using the "extended" pentatonic patterns is that you can use only your 1st and 3rd fingers since all the notes on any one string are a whole step apart. ;)
xtended.jpg

Last edited:

James77

Student of the Blues
Don’t want to sound stupid, but do you always play root note first? I see that one scale, the root would be played with index, the other, my ring.

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
The lowest note in each pattern will be played with your 1st finger.

In the minor scale the lowest note is the b7 below the root.

However, if you want to play the scale from the root, that will be with your ring finger.

You're actually starting in Box 5 on the 6th and 5th strings, then sliding up into Box 1 and then sliding up into Box 2 on the 3rd string.

The slides avoid any step-and-a-half "stretch" with your 1st finger and pinky that you might use if playing only in Box 1.

We usually learn to play the "Boxes" (or any pattern) from the lowest note on 6th string.

If playing minor, only in Box 1 will that lowest note on the 6th string be the root of the scale.

Along with learning to play the "boxes" you'll want to learn to play the scale from root to root within each box (or pattern). :)

Last edited:

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
One suggestion about scales, boxes, etc. Start on the sixth string to the first, and then reverse from the 1st string to the sixth. Also, breaking up scales and boxes (just use two or three strings at a time) makes things more interesting. At least that is my approach, and I have been doing this for the last 68 years. Another thing: Do not over do it! Spend a few minutes on these types of exercises. I use them as warm ups.

Tom