Box 2/3 , in A

Steve Black

Blues Guitarded
Hi Griff,

I need clarity on this ,

In A, I am noodling in the house in box 2, my root note is on the 2 string and I am playing to the left.

if I move my self to box 3 and remain to the left using the same root. What does that do? ( major?)

My ear wants to believe it kinda goes but I also hear some off the reservation sounds.

I can easily transition to box 3 to the right, off of the same root note. ( minor to minor )

Am I onto something offside here?

I believe that box 3 will give me the Major sound and going right I need to use box 4 to get the major as well.

Just a little cloudy.

Last edited:

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
@Steve_Black if you are in A (minor, I'm assuming, but that's important) and you play box 2, your root note is the A on the 10th fret of the 2nd string.

If you keep the A on the 10th fret of the 2nd string, but you play box 3 to the left, it's A Major, not A minor.

Griff

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
@Steve_Black if you are in A (minor, I'm assuming, but that's important) and you play box 2, your root note is the A on the 10th fret of the 2nd string.

If you keep the A on the 10th fret of the 2nd string, but you play box 3 to the left, it's A Major, not A minor.

Griff
Wow! That's the answer I came up with. Does that mean that I"m starting to understand this?