BSBB Blues Speed Building Blocks

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
I'm just getting into this course.
I've gotten to Group 1 Level 2 Example 9 and it's really starting to sound good and it's fun to play.
BTW @Griff when you have time, can you create a Prefix for this one?

Mr.Scary

A Blues Legend in My Own Mind
Little misunderstanding on my part.i did all group 1 and all 3 levels and then moving on to group 2 through 2 levels when after pm-ing Griff I should be doing all groups on level 1 then all groups on level 2 and so on top I'm starting over. I am able to count as per Griff on level 1 with all groups. When I was doing group 2 level 2 I did have problems keeping up on last 2 licks. It a great course and I'm am going to keep at it and get my fingers and brain in sync. First time I'm really enjoying counting.

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
I'm just getting into this course.
I've gotten to Group 1 Level 2 Example 9 and it's really starting to sound good and it's fun to play.
BTW @Griff when you have time, can you create a Prefix for this one?
@MikeS the prefix should now be available.

MikeR

Guitar Challenged
Staff member
Little misunderstanding on my part.i did all group 1 and all 3 levels and then moving on to group 2.

I started to do the same, going as high as I could with each exercise. Then, I listened to the introduction video again and caught where Griff said to go through all the Groups on Level 1 first. That's going to take some time, especially with Group 3. After resisting for years though, I'm trying to count on every one. :oops:

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
Am I missing something? I was looking for the Blues Speed Building Blocks under it's own title and I didn't find it. Is this still a discussion topic under "everything else"?

Last edited:

Mr.Scary

I started to do the same, going as high as I could with each exercise. Then, I listened to the introduction video again and caught where Griff said to go through all the Groups on Level 1 first. That's going to take some time, especially with Group 3. After resisting for years though, I'm trying to count on every one. :oops:
I'm trying to be diligent about counting too in level 1.i noodled around tonight just trying to put the first 3 licks together to a 70 bpm Jam track and count at the same time and I really had to think about what I was doing. I've played to Griff at 70bpm click track but stringing them together and counting. Whooo.

Last edited:

Cleotis

Boiled Eggs Rock
MikeS, what do you mean by "Prefix"? Thanks.

Also, trying to count each one as well. Been playing 6 minutes at a time on G1/L1 with metronome and moving it up 10bpm each time. It's time now to add in the second little lick that starts on the "uh" of beat one. This is a cool course if only for getting in the habit of counting. It started off easy enough to count beginning on beat 2 and subdivided by 3.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
MikeS, what do you mean by "Prefix"? Thanks.

Also, trying to count each one as well. Been playing 6 minutes at a time on G1/L1 with metronome and moving it up 10bpm each time. It's time now to add in the second little lick that starts on the "uh" of beat one. This is a cool course if only for getting in the habit of counting. It started off easy enough to count beginning on beat 2 and subdivided by 3.

In the "Everything Else" and "Gear" areas, when you create a thread there is an option to add a prefix in the subject area, so that people can later click on that prefix and see all posts regarding that topic. For instance you could click on the "Ultimate Blues Jams" stickied in this area and you will see several posts on that topic. Unfortunately there is no way to go back and change the subject of an older post, so some don't have the prefix attached.

Steve G

St. Simons Island, GA
I love this course! I just started working my way through the Level 1, Group 2 licks and I'm already noticing a marked improvement in my technique, particularly with the left hand, as well as dexterity and strength. I'm also finally taking Griff literally about his emphasis on counting out loud and it's helping. He mentions prioritizing counting and timing over getting the notes right and, once you can achieve that switch in your brain, things will really start to fall into place. I think that's happening for me.

The other thing I really like about this course is that the exercises, other than the warmup drills, are centered around licks that we can immediately incorporate into our playing. So, for me. it's killing two birds with one stone: improving speed and technique while getting a bunch of cool licks solidly under my fingers. Well done Mr. Hamlin!

kestrou

Blooze Noobie
Steve - you're motivating me, brother! :)

I've barely picked up a guitar for the last... five months or so... but this sounds right up my alley.

Going to have to pick this one up and get back on the horse.

Kevin

Steve G

St. Simons Island, GA
Steve - you're motivating me, brother! :)

I've barely picked up a guitar for the last... five months or so... but this sounds right up my alley.

Going to have to pick this one up and get back on the horse.

Kevin

Fair warning Kevin...so far Griff hasn't introduced any teeth picking drills.

kestrou

Blooze Noobie
Fair warning Kevin...so far Griff hasn't introduced any teeth picking drills.
Well, not to let the cat out of the bag, but that COULD be a special topic for an upcoming... <ahem> “guest lecturer”...

What do you say, Ham Grifflin?! :)

Kevin

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
I've been working on this week. I can play group 1 level 2 pretty well. I tried the group 1 level 3 today........ juuuuuuuuuust a little sloppy.....

I'm taking my time play fast. ha ha!! almost an oxymoron kinda logic but I think you all know what I mean....... I'm just going to focus on all of group 1 until I feel pretty good with it............. and then move on. But before I do I will probably get into the arpeggio course simultaneously that I've been waiting to start soon too. I'm starting to get my Spring motivation after the last BGU Live. :Beer:

Mr.Scary

I'm starting a run through for the 2nd time of All Groups of Level 1 just trying to get familiar with all the licks and the counting then I'll start to memorize 1 by 1 and get them ingrained before I start Level 2 and 3.

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
Wow! just wow!! I worked on the Group 1 Play Alongs today......... And when I got to Level 3 I thought the 130 BPM was the 140 BPM. I don't spose I really need to say much about my success at 140 BPM? ha ha ha...........

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
Wow! just wow!! I worked on the Group 1 Play Alongs today......... And when I got to Level 3 I thought the 130 BPM was the 140 BPM. I don't spose I really need to say much about my success at 140 BPM? ha ha ha...........
That's alright, just keep doing it every day. It'll come in like swiss cheese, a little bit here and there. Pretty soon it'll sound nearly as good as 130 and then 120.