Blues Solo Construction Kit - Shuffle Feel

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
Nice job Danno. :cool: The Shuffle is my favorite Blues, and I enjoy listening and playing it. Griff's course made it more fun. :)

Tom

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
Not sure where the follow the chord idea came from since I specifically pointed out not to do that for positions 3 and 5. You do still want to “follow” the I chord.

I’m suggesting staying in one key by always choosing licks with the same I chord.

If you wanted to stay in C and play C minor pentatonic throughout, there are 2 position 1 licks in C and 3 licks in C for position 2.

Position 3 goes from IV to I, so you’ll want one of the 2 licks that go from an F7 to C7. Some mistakingly think these are in F since the lick starts on F.

Position 4 has 2 licks in C, and one each in Bb and C# that could be easily moved to C.

Position 5 goes from IV-I-V (F7-C7-G7 in C) and there are 3 licks with C7 in the “middle”.

You could make 2x3x2x2x3 combinations all in C using just the licks that are actually already in C without any transposing.

Last edited:

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
Also note Griff has been consistent in showing the correct key signature for the “key” of each lick.

You could simply choose licks that all have the C Major key signature.

That’s 12 out of 25 licks.

Number of licks by “key”:
C 12
G 4
A 3
E 2
F#, Bb, B and C# each 1

You could conceivably move them all to C and take it from there.

Just noticed that Griff did exactly that in Solo Example 2, moving positions 1 and 4 from G and Bb, respectively. The other 3 are as originally in C.

And moving that first lick from G to C Griff uses as an example of changing string sets and boxes. All the rest of the licks in both solos simply move up or down the required number of frets. :)

Last edited: