Blues "rules of thumb"

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bpost

Perhaps we could all create a cheat sheet or rules of thumb (rules of fingers) and make a list of what to do when soloing to help each other out. Add to this list or correct if wrong:

Rule #1-

When soloing over a I-IV-V chord progression you can use major and minor pentatonic on the I chord and only minor pentatonic on the IV and V.

Rule #2-

Major phrygian can be used over a secondary dominant that has a minor target chord. ( A7-Dm7, play A phrygian on the A7, Dm pent or Cmin pent on Dm7)

Rule #3

When soloing over a dominant 7th chord you can choose the key the dominant chord acts as the 5 chord and use the pentatonic or major scale for that key. (ex.- G7 is the 5 chord in C major. Solo with c major

Rule #4- your turn to post

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
From LP, Here's something on how to remember where the notes on the neck are:
The note we find on the 6th string can be found on the 4th 2 frets higher.The note on the 5th string can be found on the 3rd 2 frets higher (that covers 4 strings so far ) we know that the note on 1st string is same as on the 6th ( 5 strings/notes covered ) & to find the note on the 2nd string we need to know the note on the 5th then back 2 frets.It obvious the 2nd string like to be different the the rest of the " pack " ! A good exercise would be to have someone call out a note then you find them on all 6 strings without playing just visualising could be a bit of fun over a few beers !

wgabree

Blues Newbie
Here's some improvising tips I've picked up along the way:

1. Don't try to use a lot of notes at one time (4 note solo anyone?!).

2. Repeat and develop (repeat verbatim, or with slight variations).

3. Experiment with rhythms (rhythmic motif).

4. Don't pick every note (use slurs - hammer-ons, pull-offs, slides & bends).

5. Don't be afraid to hold notes and leave spaces (sustained or repeated notes, rests).

6. Think of improvising as speaking (tell a story - like a conversation, rise and fall of pitch and dynamics).

:cool:

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Here's some "Modes" information from Blues Man.
If the mode contains a major 3rd it's major; if the mode contains a minor 3rd it's minor.

Major Modes;

Ionian = Major scale
Example: C D E F G A B

Lydian = Major scale with a raised 4th scale degree.
Example: C D E F# G A B
................... #4

Mixolydian = Major scale with a lowered 7th scale degree.
Example: C D E F G A Bb
.............................b7

After observing the major modes, there is only one alteration made to each. Raising the 4th degree makes a very bright sound while lowering the 7th degree makes for a slightly duller sound.

Minor Modes

Aeolian = Minor scale
Example: C D Eb F G Ab Bb

Dorian = Minor scale with a raised 6th scale degree.
Example: C D Eb F G A Bb
...........................#6

Phrygian = Minor scale with a lowered 2nd scale degree.
Example: C Db Eb F G Ab Bb
................b2

Locrian = Minor scale with a lowered 2nd and 5th scale degrees.
Example: C Db Eb F Gb Ab Bb
................b2 .......b5

Below is a quick reference table to help memorize these modes.

Major Modes
Lydian - #4
Mixolydian - b7
Minor Modes
Dorian - #6
Phrygian - b2
Locrian - b2, b5

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
16 Bar Blues formats From LP:
Was thinking about this the other day & realised I did not really know the proper progression, much less played it in all the times I've played guitar.So I looked it up to check & you guessed it - just like a 12 bar there are some varieties with a 16 bar.So lets look at them :

v1 - I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-IV-IV-I-I-V-IV-I-I
v2 - I-I-I-I-IV-IV-I-I-V-V-IV-IV-I-I-I-I
v3 - I-I-I-I-IV-IV-I-I-IV-IV-I-I-V-IV-I-I
v4 - I-I-I-I-IV-IV-I-I-V-IV-V-VI-V-IV-I-I
v5 - I-I-I-I-IV-IV-I-I-V-IV-V-IV-I-I-I-I

v (number) = version number
I = root chord , IV = sub dominant chord , V = dominant chord.Hope you get something from this - 'cause it took ages to to type & drink at same time y'know !!!  Grin

LP

And the 8 bar Blues:
...we get the 8 bar blues.

v1 - I-I-IV-IV-I-V-IV-IV
v2 - I-I-I-I-IV-IV-V-I
v3 - I-V-IV-IV-I-V-I-V
v4 - I-I-I-I-IV-V-I-V

LP

B

bpost

If anyone is interested in learning more about "modes" check out this website. If you learn the 5 major scale patterns on the neck you will then be able to learn what mode ( or really what major scale) you can play over certain chord changes. You will find this in blues. Example- I,IV,V- A7-D7-E7- you can play a minor pent over all, a major pent. over the I, A mixolydian mode over the I (which is really D major), D mixolydian (which is really G major) on the IV and E mixolydian (which is A major) on the V.
Check out this website and look at the chart that Chris has posted. It makes a lot of sense.

http://chrisjuergensen.com/modes_1.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.