Blues/rock lick vocab #1

psbuchanan (Preston)

Seeking cool blends between chords and lead
So I listened to the intro, and checked out different sections of each lesson.

1. great idea to give an overview of scales/modes for anyone needing a quick refresher/getting their bearings.

2. these are some of the most interesting licks you have used in your courses. Every example I clicked on from the straight, swing, and slow feel were all interesting.

I tried using the blues speed building blocks coarse to improve my ability to count, and while I appreciated the speed building blocks courses, I ended up only wanting to learn a handful of the licks (which cut down on the amount of counting I practiced). In this new course, I look forward to learning them all. I really wanted a course with lots of lead work that I wanted to both learn and use as an exercise to improve my counting. This is that course!

cowboy

Blues, Booze & BBQ
This is a huge course...I listened to most all of the licks and intros...really great stuff...nice blend of "boxes", modes and timing...gonna be quite a bit of work...some of the licks are challenging in the counting...at least for me...I really appreciated the intro and brief background info...this will be a must course for a lot of players...

agree with Preston's eval above...

question: will Level 1, 2 & 3 be all separate courses?...and how soon can we get hard copies of this...later.

cowboy

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
This is a huge course...I listened to most all of the licks and intros...really great stuff...nice blend of "boxes", modes and timing...gonna be quite a bit of work...some of the licks are challenging in the counting...at least for me...I really appreciated the intro and brief background info...this will be a must course for a lot of players...

agree with Preston's eval above...

question: will Level 1, 2 & 3 be all separate courses?...and how soon can we get hard copies of this...later.

cowboy
Levels 2 and 3 would definitely be separate. I have some licks together already for both levels... we'll see if this is a format that's appealing and effective before I actually get too deep into them.

Hard copies are coming, but they'll be delayed because of the virus. Right now I'm not sure I can get them printed. Assuming I can, it'll be a couple of weeks, otherwise may be longer.

Thanks for your input, I look forward to hearing more as folks get a chance to dig in.

cowboy

Blues, Booze & BBQ
Levels 2 and 3 would definitely be separate. I have some licks together already for both levels... we'll see if this is a format that's appealing and effective before I actually get too deep into them.

Hard copies are coming, but they'll be delayed because of the virus. Right now I'm not sure I can get them printed. Assuming I can, it'll be a couple of weeks, otherwise may be longer.
Thanks for your input, I look forward to hearing more as folks get a chance to dig in.

I don't think you have to worry about this being appealing or effective...;););)...

Since "time" is not an issue, I figure I'll be digging into this big time...in watching all the vids I'm pumped about some of the prebends but will get to them later...btw, huge kudos to you for allowing us to preview this course...you the man...later.

cowboy

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
@Griff
This is gonna be a great series. I've listened to all of the sections and worked on the first two (Straight) sections.
Level ONE??? The coming Levels 2 & 3 are terrifying! me before even hearing them!!

If you want some nit picking....
The break between the shuffle intro & shuffle lick 1 should come 1 second or so earlier so that your description of the lick "From Billy Gibbons" in in the Lick section not the intro section.
Same issue in the Slow Blues section between the Intro & lick 1
I may have missed it but at the start of Slow Blues Lick 4 you don't mention who it's from (KWS?).

Whew! awesome stuff.
Time to go back and really work this thing!

JestMe

Student Of The Blues
I'm liking it and got a golden ticket all set for when it is available.

Any idea when it will be available for golden tickets?

ervjohns

Blues Junior
Gave it a bit of a look see, gonna be a great course, looking forward to the play along aspect. Thanks for the early preview!

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
I think I used my most recent golden ticket a couple of weeks ago. I'm really looking forward to this one, so as soon as it's for sale, I'll probably go ahead and buy it so I can get the whole thing downloaded. Then will need to order the book. Imho, this looks like it's going to be a home run of a course.

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
Haven't even started with the licks yet.

Spent a couple days just playing rhythm along with the jam tracks and the charts in the Appendix.

Just a "minor" typo in the CD track listings in the manual.

The very last track on CD 3 is in G not E.

Actually G minor. The previous 2 tracks, as well as tracks 22-24 on CD 2 are also in Minor.

Tracks 25-27 on CD 2 are in Dorian.