Blues Progression Using E7,A7,B7

M

Murr

It seems to work for me and I'm just a beginner. It is not that difficult to remember when you switch guitars......I don't think ;), must be the oletimers. You'll do just fine. Stay Cool. :cool: PS: Nice new avatar, Sunny. That is 3 within the last week or two?? :eek: Keep them coming. [smiley=happy.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Steve G

St. Simons Island, GA
One thing that maybe a factor here , as maybe/probably/possibly (covered myself there  :-? ) for others aswell that are having some difficulty is tension in your hand.If the hand is tense then the fingers will be also i think that if there is tension in the thumb you will grip the neck to tight, therefore making clean smooth changes difficult to say the least.If you need a lot of tension to hold the strings down then you might want to look at your action but if you are playing an electric there should not be any tension at all.Its easy to say i know &  it happens to us all when doing something new we natuarally tense up but with time a bit more practice - well a lot more actually - & it will come to you.You'll be helping new members to BBG with their woes about the "dreaded" B7 chord in no time at all Alexander  ;)

LP

...just don't start me on C7 ok  :mad:

I couldn't agree more with this nugget.  Tension in your arms and hands is definitely a big, big obstacle to making chord changes & getting chords, or individual notes for that matter, to ring out clearly.  The same advice also applies to your picking hand.  Sometimes it's easier said than done, but if you can stay relaxed while you're playing, you will definitely play better.

N

Nick_smart

This has really helped me get B7 down. When your going from E7 to B7 keep your third finger really close to your second finger while strumming E7. It really helps to align your third finger with the right string. Your first finger is easy, just move up one string. Keep your second finger on the same string and drop your pinky. This really helped me to get my fingers in the right position. And I just sat for 2 hours when when watching tv and without strumming just practice going through all three chords. Within two days I got all the chords down fairly well. Hope this helps

L

Lame_Pinky

I would also bet thet while you were watching tv & just changing chords (without strumming) your hand & fingers were nice & relaxed.This is a very important part in changing chords & not just E7 to B7 open,I also think that keeping your middle finger fixed to the 5th string, 2nd fret will aid in the chord change to B7 & a relaxed index finger also helps trmendously.

LP

Kimball

Blues Newbie
I use 2 and 3 for the A7 and 1 and 2 for the E7. I drop 4 onto 2nd string 3rd fret sometimes on the E7 if that's what ends the song. It fills out the E7 a lot more.

R

RayL

Thanks guys. I'm just getting into this lesson and there has been a lot of good stuff put forth here. I'm hoping it will be helpful, as usual.  :) I know that tension is definitely a problem with B7. I keep telling myself to relax, but i don't always listen to myself.  :(

Ray

gpower

Blues Junior
The switching back and forth between acoustic and electric will help both. The idea of having to choke the neck to get a chord to sound good will disappear and you'll then play more relaxed and smoothly.

R

RayL

The switching back and forth between acoustic and electric will help both. The idea of having to choke the neck to get a chord to sound good will disappear and you'll then play more relaxed and smoothly.

I don't have an electric to switch off to, but I'm hoping that I can eventually learn to relax my iron grip. Sometimes my finger tips are really sore from pressing so hard.  :(

Ray

SunnyOne

Blues Newbie
Ray, seriously you will learn that relaxing helps a LOT! Try and relax your hand so the muscles won't be so tight.

R

RayL

In the past few days, Ive found that I am becoming more comfortable with these chords. I'm going to try Nick's method of practicing without strumming. Hope it will help, as LP says, with the tension.

henryj

Blues Newbie
I got the B7 down pretty good. It didn't seem to be that big a problem for me.  C7 and D are working me over.

Sometimes I find that if put on my fedora and shades and just play with a move over Steve Ray additude I can surprise myself.  If I make a mistake or two or ten I just keep on playing like it was the sweetest song ever played.   Sometimes we are just trying too hard and need to remember that this is supposed to be fun!  Go ahead, put on your shades, get an attitude and give it a try.

luckylarry

Student Of The Blues
henryj, I so agree with you. Sometimes I just put on my blues hat (cost $79.00), pump up the amp and guitar (cost about $800.00), just play with abandon (cost=priceless) 3 or 4 chords as many ways and strums as I feel like playing.

R

RayL

Henry .... I always thought that I was too much of a novice to have an attitude. This past week, practice has been more intense than fun, so I think I'll find a hat and work up some attitude and see what happens. Also, earplugs might in order.  ;D

Ray