Blues jam adventures and advice

Crossroads

Thump the Bottom
Whether the ensuing jam experience is a high point in their musical journey or a source of disappointment and discouragement relies heavily on how the rest of the attendees accommodate, encourage, and welcome them. :Beer:

If it is a paid gig, or a charity event, then there are deliverables.

Other than that "Well it's alright now I learned my lesson well, see you can't please everyone so you got to please yourself."

Every one of them has been there before themselves, so if they can't empathize, F-em.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Shields up Captain!

Last edited:

sloslunas

NM Blues
If it is a paid gig, or a charity event, then there are deliverables.

Other than that "Well it's alright now I learned my lesson well see you can't please everyone so you got to please yourself."

Every one of them has been there before themselves, so if they can't empathize F-em.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Shields up Captain!
And, if you are ever on stage with Crossroads you better hang on to your hat. That boy will throw you more curve balls than Sandy Colfax!! Just sayin'...

Steve

Crossroads

Thump the Bottom
Understood. I’ve not done a paid gig, but I have done the charity event thing and I did take that seriously.
And don't get me wrong, I'm not saying don't take a jam seriously. And I'm more than happy to listen to someone say "Hey did you ever think about trying this or trying that."

What I am saying is that unfortunately at a jam, sometimes there are jerks, that want to make themselves feel better by berating other's performances. You just can't be concerned with the opinions of people that are just musical snobs. I know it is easier said than done.

Last edited:

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
My first blues jam I went to.............had no clue what i was doing, hadnt met the BGU guys yet, and was really only playing open chords

I missed a chord change, the guys singing looked at me like every A&R guy just walked out and ruined his chances, I mean he was pissed. Later I was having a beer with some other guys and he bumped me spilling some of my drink. Being who I am, I stood up and asked him if he wanted his ass kicked inside or outside.

Some other guys got in between and said he is always like that, takes it real serious, and always leaves and never stays to watch others ( he still has an ass kicking coming if I see him again)

My second one, we knew no songs, only the singer did, but he was patient and we muddled through it, guy actually made us sound good, we had fun, good time. Then I went to some clinics and jammed with Marty and Justin Sandercoe.

The first BGU one I went to, Dr Ron asked me if I am good getting on stage, yeah sure, but I wanted to sit back and watch first, and no solos.
He said good, you are with the first group, and first song called for a solo..............I can say, I was never nervous again, and had a great time.

Each time is better than the last