Blues in F - Little Chords

Andreas

Blues Newbie
Hi everyone, right now I am working on Lessons 3 and 4. If I want to play a Blues in F then the Chords are F, Bb and C. Since the F on the first fret is too low, I would play the F with the root on the 8th fret, the Bb with the root on the 6h fret, and the C with the root on the 8th fret.

Now, my question: Since the I Chord is on the A-String, can I play the little Chords with the I Chord as a F9 but the IV and V Chords as a Bb7 and a C7? Or is it a bit too unsual?

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
can I play the little Chords with the I Chord as a F9 but the IV and V Chords as a Bb7 and a C7?
Yes, you can. In fact, that would be very "economical".

In general, since all 3 chords are in the Dominant family, you can play any combination of 7, 9, 11 and 13 chords that sounds good to you.

And play them anywhere, in anyway (little or tall), you like. :)

Just a side note. When referring to the location of the root, it will eliminate any potential confusion if you designate the string along with the fret.

Last edited:

jmin

Student Of The Blues
Hi everyone, right now I am working on Lessons 3 and 4. If I want to play a Blues in F then the Chords are F, Bb and C. Since the F on the first fret is too low, I would play the F with the root on the 8th fret, the Bb with the root on the 6h fret, and the C with the root on the 8th fret.

Now, my question: Since the I Chord is on the A-String, can I play the little Chords with the I Chord as a F9 but the IV and V Chords as a Bb7 and a C7? Or is it a bit too unsual?

You must be destined to be a Jazz player! ;)

Andreas

Blues Newbie
You must be destined to be a Jazz player! ;)
Why? :sneaky: Is "Blues in F" something, Jazz Players play? I have no idea about Jazz but was just curious whether I really understood how to apply those 7th and 9th Chords.

jmin

Student Of The Blues
Why? :sneaky: Is "Blues in F" something, Jazz Players play? I have no idea about Jazz but was just curious whether I really understood how to apply those 7th and 9th Chords.
I think Jazz players like to play "outside the box." They seem to love "tall" chords and other variations. I think you're understanding is spot on with learning the guitar. Enjoy!

david moon

Attempting the Blues
I'm with paleo, a lot of times we will talk about a barre cord with the root on the 6th string (E shape) at some fret, or similarly a chord with the root on the 5th string (A shape) barred at some fret.

If you're going to move up the neck and play a D shape as an F chord, you could say the root is on the 4th string 3rd fret.