Blues in E - a couple of different ones

J

jhagan421

I had not played this one very much in regular practicing, but it difinatlely an imprtant skill to be able to just play rhythms. so I ve been working on it more.

These are for you Wally ;) :cool: thanks man, it was great to meet you and your wife!

1. Clean(ish) version Clean model on Line 6 Spider IV 15 - lots of drive, 50% bass, 70% treble, and a bit of reverb.  first two bars are shaky but i think it was OK after that. :-?

http://www.4shared.com/video/VgPQ1Wkj/Blues_in_E_Clean.html

2. Dirtier version Crunch model on Line 6 Spider IV 15 - lots of drive, lots of bass, 60% treble, and a bit of reverb - easier to play with effects :)

http://www.4shared.com/video/hkzE2Sxj/Blues_in_E_dirty.html

M

mw1954

Nice vid man . I should likewise spend more time on that . I have the same amp . I like it . also have the 120 . Way more than I need at this point , but fun to play around with .

M

MandyC

Good vids Josh :cool:

Liked the endings

I think when you add the effects it increases confidence as well (hides a multitude....they say)
Well played

Ray_UK

Blues Newbie
Nice work Josh

I figure from what you're saying that the jam was not only great fun but a real boost in the learning curve?

I'd be really interested in your feedback from the event as it's often crossed my mind that it would be great fun but what on earth would I be able to bring to it musically.

J

jhagan421

Ray.  I played very little, at the jam, and when I tried...well...it was very little.  there was one tune that I was able to play the E7, A7, B7 progression with a different strum and I did, sort of OK.  I certainly don't know everything needed to "get in the game" as it were, but I know this.

Learn the fretboard - you know that page with the diagram of the notes - at the beginning of barre chords, yeah, learn it - there is actually an excersise in SWS for exactly that, learnign the notes on the first 12 frets

Practice those Barre Shapes - you'll need them.

Practice with backing - its just not the same when the drums start and 5 or 6 others are all playing around you.  miss a bar and, well its tough to catch up.

-Not all doom and gloom, I really did have a great time, next time will be better!

Ray_UK

Blues Newbie
Thanks Josh..  you were the trail blazer for BBG'ers at a jam & it sounds like a lot of fun and a huge learning experience at the same time :)

wgabree

Blues Newbie
Josh - great work!  You are coming along fine and I you have a solid idea of what you need to work on.  Right on man!  :cool:

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Josh, The way you played this piece, I'll bet you are down playing your contribution to the jam. These sound great.

J

jhagan421

Thanks guys.
Mike next time I think Ill be a contributor, The jam was a terrific experience, and a great tool to begin to understand what is needed to play in a group. just asmall difference from playing alone in my den ;)

L

Lame_Pinkey

Was going to say same as Spence that you looked like a rockstar/bluestar ( sort of like Keith when he was going through that " don't need to eat " phase  ;D ) playing was really good Josh.I don't know if you have but you need to go back & look at some of your early posts of lessons.You never took your eyes off the fretboard back then & almost seemed frozen in place ( you're still not smiling like I told you  ;) ) compare that to these 2 vids & you can tell that you have come a long way obviously from the lessons , from the help & advice here , from the jam & getting hands on advice from the guys & most importantly from you & the application you have shown.
Well done mate you deserve a beer or 6  [smiley=beer.gif]

LP

Russ

Blues Newbie
Man, I honestly don't care for reverb and you had me swayin' in my office chair  :p . That was really fun to watch and you did a good job of practicing not looking @ your hands. You are making me look forward to the rest of BBG with renewed vigure  :D . Great job.

DesmoDog

Desmo was my dog. RIP big guy
Sounded good, I like the dirty version better. There's a joke there somewhere but I'll just leave it alone...   :)

I have trouble with this one because it's so repetitive I lose concentration and then forget where I am. I think I have it recorded somewhere but never uploaded it...

Cynicure

Blues Newbie
Well done Josh! Good timing...

Have you thought about maybe softly muting the bass E while you play it? It gives a nice 'chunky' sound to this kind of blues; otherwise I find the bass E always has a tendency to 'ring out' a bit too much on this type of blues... I suspect it may be what you're looking for when you use your 'effects'; but even the 'dirty' version, I suspect is not quite the sound you're looking for is it?

Try placing the heel of your hand just over the bridge and keep it there loosely while you strum... you'll soon get the hang of it!

Here's a beer for your efforts:

[smiley=beer.gif]  ;)