Bluegrass course?

Scott 2.0

Blues Newbie
I may be sitting in with a blue grass band when I get to California in November. I said if you have a guitar - I'll sit in. Told him I didn't know blue grass. He said G D G D. Ok - I can do that. True Fire has a 50% sale coming - any recommendations for a quick tour of Bluegrass? Thanks.

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
From someone who used to play in a bluegrass-ish band, your friend is right. G-C-D, C-F-G and maybe D-G-A and A-D-E. Stick a capo in your pocket just in case. Almost everything is played in those voicings. Oh - and be sure you know the major scales around G and C and you're golden when it comes your time for a break...throw in a flatted 3rd every now and again and you'll sound like you've been playing bluegrass all your life. If you're not good at hearing the changes, just watch the player next to you for them. Generally, bluegrass is like pop music...3 chords with an occasional minor thrown in. Don't sweat it, bluegrass can have some crazy-good players, but if you have followed Griff for very long, I think you'll be able to fake it and have a really good time.

Cowboy Bob

Horse Player/Guitar Wrangler
My brother and I, and our families, used to play at bluegrass festivals all over the upper and lower Midwest during the summer festival season several years ago. We'll still pick bluegrass at a monthly jam in the QCA every now and again.

Good advice from @snarf , especially the capo. Learn to "walk" between chords, is another good thing. Impress them with a few blues licks in a bluegrass timing. (My brother and I usually have the traditionalists steppin' and fetchin' when we wind up doing something like Buddy Holly or Chuck Berry in a bluegrass style). :whistle:

Take a look at guys like Ron Block, Norman Blake, Peter Rowan, Dan Timynski (sp?) and Del McCoury on youtube.

A lot like this community here, you will find bluegrassers to be very helpful, and not at all critical if you screw up.

I'll tell you a story, I've told it here before, but many years ago, 25 or more anyway, we were at a festival in southern Illinois. After the day's activities, my brother, his wife and father-in-law, some friends and my wife and I were sitting round our fire in our campsite just picking some tunes, telling off color jokes and laughing. When out of the darkness came this little old distinguished looking gentleman approaching our fire. He said that he loved to be where people were having fun and asked if he could join us. We said certainly, and he sat in with his mandolin. Well that old gentleman happened to be none other than Bill Monroe!