BGU2.0 Lesson 6-1

Ivan

Blues Newbie
Haven't heard from you in a bit.....now I know why. You've been working this one to perfection.

Well done Jerry!

:thumbup:

jmin

Student Of The Blues
That was very tight, jmallard! Nice playing!

[NEW forum question: are we supposed to do the "like" thing AND post a comment? Both? ...
New-fangled social media!]

johnc

systematic
Very good Jerry, I am envious as I was working on that lesson myself yesterday and a ways to go before I get anything like that.

jmallard

Mostly Confused
Very good Jerry, I am envious as I was working on that lesson myself yesterday and a ways to go before I get anything like that.
johnc,

I practiced on this lesson for days. Many players here probably found the lesson simple and got it done quickly. Griff surely makes it look easy and smooth. I don't know how many times I recorded my attempts before I finally got one that I considered acceptable.

Lesson 6-2 is similar, but it will take me a while before I can submit that lesson. All I can say is keep at it, you will get it. The nice thing about this forum is you will always receive encouragement and constructive appraisal from the members

johnc

systematic
Hi Jerry,
Thanks for the encouragement, every bit helps. Pretty sure I struggled with this the first time through BGU. My fumbles feel familiar so I may not have persisted with it as much as I should have back then. Well back on it today and will just try and add it to the list of regular exercises till I get it.
Your recording sounded like you are on top of it now so again well done.

jmallard

Mostly Confused
So, you have already went through the BGU course ?

I'm sure you will get it with some practice. I am working on 6-2 now and it will take some time before I can get it right. We just have to practice. ;)

Jerry

johnc

systematic
Yeah Jerry, I have done the whole thing back in 2009 but along with many other things I have lost much of it in my memory due to several surgeries and regular general anaesthesia over the past 3 years. So although BGU feels a bit familiar I am learning it all again as much to help my brain recover as anything else. I am not out of the woods either as far as more surgery but for now I have a 6 month break so just hoping that will give me time to get through BGU again.
Very upsetting to forget years of playing and learning.
Wishing you well with 6-2. I had a bit of a go at it but found myself flicking back and forth between the two styles so I had better try and lock the first one in before I move on and confuse myself.

jmallard

Mostly Confused
johnc,

I know what you mean about the surgeries. I've had 8 since 2008. I hope you are on the road to a full recovery.

I'm sure we will do fine on these lessons, just gotta practice. Life still gets in the way of that sometimes.

Jerry

david moon

Attempting the Blues
sounds good jerry. I hope you are picking a steady down-up-down-up pattern and then the hard part is the string crossings. Like jumping from the 6th string to the 4th.

jmallard

Mostly Confused
david,

Thanks!

Yes, I am using the down-up pattern and the hard part was jumping from the 6th to the 4th string. Also, have to count to get the breaks correct.

Jerry