BGU Lesson 6

Peter Wynne

Woke up fell outta bed drag a comb across my head
I completed lesson 6 albeit at the slow pace. I tried many times over the holiday to keep up with Griff at the faster pace and couldn't. So i have started Pentatonic Scales & Technique Mastery to work on increasing my speed. I am moving on to lesson 7 and continue to attempt the faster paces with Griff.

Recorded using:
Fender Strat neck position: tone 7
Yamaha THR10C Pre3 IS Deluxe Clean and ACO Clean w/Boss BD-2
Cubase AI8

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/t4idd18cz9cwlgu/BGU 6-1 Slow.mp3?dl=0
https://dl.dropbox.com/s/kihsk8ta4bxgtlb/BGU 6-2 Slow.mp3?dl=0
https://dl.dropbox.com/s/mqiu24idmbqcvcm/BGU 6-3 Slow.mp3?dl=0

jmin

Student Of The Blues
Great job Peter! It sounds like you have all the notes and chords down and you’re playing them well. If I can be critical of one thing it would be the timing - especially on the chords right after the rests in 6.1. My first thought while listening was “are you counting out loud when you’re playing this?” (One-and-Two-and-...). Like Griff always emphasizes, the timing is more important than hitting the correct note! And you already have the correct notes down! The PS&TM course should be helpful! But, really focus on the counting and timing!

JohnJ

Blues Newbie
Sounded good Peter.I know how you feel about playing up to tempo. I have been on solo #6 for months. I have the tune memorized but playing at the same tempo mistake free that Griff does is not happening for me yet. I like the challenge so I will keep plugging away until I get it.

Peter Wynne

Thank you for the feedback and encouragement. Much appreciated. I have faith that as i work my way through BGU that i will get better and my fingers will learn to do what i want them to do at a faster pace. I'm enjoying BGU as i go through it. Thanks to Griff for a great course.

Peter Wynne

Great job Peter! It sounds like you have all the notes and chords down and you’re playing them well. If I can be critical of one thing it would be the timing - especially on the chords right after the rests in 6.1. My first thought while listening was “are you counting out loud when you’re playing this?” (One-and-Two-and-...). Like Griff always emphasizes, the timing is more important than hitting the correct note! And you already have the correct notes down! The PS&TM course should be helpful! But, really focus on the counting and timing!
Jim - I have taken a pause after reading your feedback and asking myself "am i really counting.....out loud?" and the answer came back "No". I was fooling my self into thinking i was ready to play with feeling but this was not the right path. So i am going back to basics and concentrating on counting out loud while tapping the foot. Lesson 7 should help since its a slow blues feel but i really want to get this down before i move forward. And that may take me a while. I also told myself i want to learn a solo before i return to a live BGU event so thats on my bucket list as well. Thanks again for your feedback. Slainte!

jammoore99

Blues Newbie
Peter - sounded great. Keep at it. I myself am at lesson 5 so I hope it won't be long before I'm at lesson 6. I hope I get it done as well as you have.

BoogieMan

Blues Junior
Great job Peter! It sounds like you have all the notes and chords down and you’re playing them well. If I can be critical of one thing it would be the timing - especially on the chords right after the rests in 6.1.
I found in many cases it was harder to get the timing right at slow speed. The slow tempo is great for getting the notes but the fast speed may be better for timing when you are able to achieve it. I also found it helpful to work the jam tracks at intermediate speeds using appropriate software.