BGU Lesson 14

Alang

Living the Dream
The cords on lesson 14 is getting the best of me. I have a question can you substitute like cords that are easier . Or can you just make little cords?
Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated

jmin

Student Of The Blues
Lesson 14 gets most of us! It's not something you learn in a week, or even a month!
I think this is THE most difficult rhythm lesson in the course. If you substitute chords to make it "easier" you may be able to play "the song," but are you really getting everything out of the lesson Griff wants you to?

HotLks

Blues - it's in me and it's got to come out.
Alang -

It sounds like you've become familiar with all the chords in this lesson.

Try this: Finger and strum each chord, in order of the lesson. Watch your fingers very closely. See how they move and to where they move. Pay close attention to economy of motion. There is a way to move from where you are to where you want to go that is best. Feel what you are doing with your fingers when changing their positions. Maybe change which finger you put on a particular fret. Try to form a bridge in your mind of where a finger is going to go next and where it is now. Maybe the order you place your fingers down for the next chord needs to be changed. Someone said somewhere else to look for an anchor point in common with two chords. Sometimes I start playing a chord before all my fingers are down. First notes first, the rest to follow as I play the chord.

I like to say, the secret is right in front of you. You just haven't seen it yet.

Stay the course, brother!

See you down the road! :thumbup:

david moon

Attempting the Blues
It is tough. In addition to working on "economy of motion" you should also analyze the chords and figure out what notes are what in the chord. For example a #9, where is the I, the III, the bVII, the #9(II)?

I also worked on small segments, not trying to get through the whole thing. I posted a recording here, but I had to slow down the backing track a bit to keep up. I posted a link to that track. Most days I will run through this as a warm up and it's still not totally under my fingers.

johnc

systematic
I am just about to post a version of my efforts with this but seeing your post made me think about how I got through it to this stage. I am still quite shakey on it trust me, even though I learnt it a few years back when BGU first came out.
I don't play some of it the same as Griff, although I try and achieve the same notes, because my hands are different and my brain is wired is some strange way. I do however try different ways that suit me better but in doing that one still has to consider the economy of motion as said by the previous two members.
The three chord changes that give me the most grief are to the Db7/D, the C#7#11 and the Bbsus2/D. In each case I have looked closely on how to make the tidiest fingering from the previous chord. I even tried playing it on different guitars and got better results on a particular guitar. Sometimes I have found it is just a matter of concentrating on one finger and the rest follow with a bit of practice.
It is a tough one and it is not an over nighter for most of us, so for anyone learning it, try and persevere and keep coming back to it along with your other work.

Good luck with it.

Alang

Living the Dream
I am just about to post a version of my efforts with this but seeing your post made me think about how I got through it to this stage. I am still quite shakey on it trust me, even though I learnt it a few years back when BGU first came out.
I don't play some of it the same as Griff, although I try and achieve the same notes, because my hands are different and my brain is wired is some strange way. I do however try different ways that suit me better but in doing that one still has to consider the economy of motion as said by the previous two members.
The three chord changes that give me the most grief are to the Db7/D, the C#7#11 and the Bbsus2/D. In each case I have looked closely on how to make the tidiest fingering from the previous chord. I even tried playing it on different guitars and got better results on a particular guitar. Sometimes I have found it is just a matter of concentrating on one finger and the rest follow with a bit of practice.
It is a tough one and it is not an over nighter for most of us, so for anyone learning it, try and persevere and keep coming back to it along with your other work.

Good luck with it.
Thanks for your comment, was much needed and appreciated. Glad to hear it could be a struggle. In my first week so I will keep practicing.

Alang

Living the Dream
It is tough. In addition to working on "economy of motion" you should also analyze the chords and figure out what notes are what in the chord. For example a #9, where is the I, the III, the bVII, the #9(II)?

I also worked on small segments, not trying to get through the whole thing. I posted a recording here, but I had to slow down the backing track a bit to keep up. I posted a link to that track. Most days I will run through this as a warm up and it's still not totally under my fingers.
Thanks, is a struggle for me but I will take your advise and keep picking.

Alang

Living the Dream
Alang -

It sounds like you've become familiar with all the chords in this lesson.

Try this: Finger and strum each chord, in order of the lesson. Watch your fingers very closely. See how they move and to where they move. Pay close attention to economy of motion. There is a way to move from where you are to where you want to go that is best. Feel what you are doing with your fingers when changing their positions. Maybe change which finger you put on a particular fret. Try to form a bridge in your mind of where a finger is going to go next and where it is now. Maybe the order you place your fingers down for the next chord needs to be changed. Someone said somewhere else to look for an anchor point in common with two chords. Sometimes I start playing a chord before all my fingers are down. First notes first, the rest to follow as I play the chord.

I like to say, the secret is right in front of you. You just haven't seen it yet.

Stay the course, brother!

See you down the

Alang

Living the Dream
Lesson 14 gets most of us! It's not something you learn in a week, or even a month!
I think this is THE most difficult rhythm lesson in the course. If you substitute chords to make it "easier" you may be able to play "the song," but are you really getting everything out of the lesson Griff wants you to?
Understand, I will stick to the lesson and just will take my time one month two months are longer but I will learn it, Again thanks

jmin

Student Of The Blues
Glad you're sticking with it Alang! I think I'm on month 18 now!
I'm really glad I learned it! Just a cool bunch of chords to have in your bag!

david moon

Attempting the Blues
Move on to other things, but keep coming back to this. Use it as a warm up or something to finish off your practice. The weird chord shapes will get comfortable with time and you will hear the voice movement .

Alang

Living the Dream
Glad you're sticking with it Alang! I think I'm on month 18 now!
I'm really glad I learned it! Just a cool bunch of chords to have in your bag!
Getting better but I know I have a long way to go. The cord changes will come but slow for me.
Thanks again I feel better knowing I am not the only one with issues on lesson 14.

Alang

Living the Dream
Move on to other things, but keep coming back to this. Use it as a warm up or something to finish off your practice. The weird chord shapes will get comfortable with time and you will hear the voice movement .
Yes I agree ,Move on but keep coming back to lesson 14. Thanks for the help