BGU LAB

AlexanderAliganga

Blues Newbie
I just wanted feedback on Griff’s BGU lab he teaches. I don’t have a PC at home and I only have My IPhone. How’s the class? I’m sure it’s beneficial. Just curios about.
Alexander

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
I've really enjoyed the BGU Lab classes. April is BB King stuff. Looking forward to it.

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
I don’t have a PC at home and I only have My IPhone.
Don't let that scare you. For a couple of years, all of the office hour sessions (the teaching part of the labs) would be scheduled during my drive time home in the afternoon. I'd just plug my phone into the ride, bring up the vid, and listen to what Griff was talking about. They'd last about an hour, and my drive home was a little over that. Although the video is helpful, you can totally do the lab without it. Listen to the content, download the jam tracks, and do your thing.

AlexanderAliganga

Blues Newbie
Thank ya snarf , I herd you have to write your own solos did you have a hard time doing that? I know he goes through the ideas about how he comes up with certain licks does he go through that with the students as well? I never did that but I’m really willing to learn. Did the last lab you did helped your soloing?

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
I don't want to say that the solos are easy to write, but they're not too difficult. I'm guessing that he'll do what he always does in this one. That means he'll give us a variety of licks and musical phrases, and then we take those and stick them together in whatever order we think sounds good over the jam track. Griff also tries to scale them for us and includes licks that range from those that the less experienced can play to those that will challenge even the most experienced players.

I've participated in quite a few of them, but, honestly, have only finished a couple of them by the end of the month. But that's not a bad thing. The goal is to spend the month focusing on a particular style or group of licks related to one subject. Even if you don't finish within the month, you have the confidence and experience to keep working on it on your own.

If you can confidently play a box or two, then I'd encourage you to give it a shot. Even if you don't end up finishing it by the end of the month, I'd be super surprised if you didn't learn something and enjoy yourself while doing so.

AlexanderAliganga

Blues Newbie
Cool Snarf, sounds good I think I’ll check it out. I love BB I listen to him on Sirius radio station called BB King bluesville. Thanks again , you’ve been helpful in making my decision.
Alexander