BGU 2.0 Solo #4 (Slow Blues) - Tone question

Gavin

Blues Newbie
Good morning all,
I'm about to start Solo #4, and I've been listening to it on repeat a bunch to get familiar with the phrasing. I love the tone of Griff's guitar for the solo so I'm trying to get close to it too.

Am I correct thinking there's a tube screamer effect on the solo? I'm thinking I'll run my Ibanez AM93 (semi-hollow) into the clean channel on my Katana, use a reverb pedal and a tube screamer.

Does that sound right. I can't really hear much of anything else effect wise on it.

Cheers.

dvs

Green Mountain Blues
Griff has said he uses a Boss BD-2 (Blues Driver) pedal into a clean Fender Super Reverb amp on his Avid 11-R amp modeler for recording the lessons. You should be able to find something like that on the Katana, I would imagine. :thumbup:

jmin

Student Of The Blues
I just was just singing the praises of the Katana amp in another thread...fun amp! I agree with Doug, and I know the Katana has a BD-2 and reverb.
When I think of Griff's tone, I think of him saying "Clean, with a touch of Reverb (and maybe even a little Delay), and a "little hair" (Overdrive) on it." You have lots of choices. I'm convinced that the Katana can get close to just about any sound you want. I think I would start with Doug's recommendation and tweak from there. And don't forget you also have a Noise Suppressor (in case things get "buzzy") if you want to crank it up.
It's been 6 years since I learned Solo#4, but I still remember it's one of the "hardest" solos Griff teaches in BGU. Good luck and enjoy the ride!

Gavin

Blues Newbie
Well, thank you guys. I didn't have a blues driver pedal, but a couple of hours work and now I have a blues driver pedal on my prototype board for testing!!!

20220311_143723.jpg

dvs

Green Mountain Blues
I thought the Blues Drive built in to the Katana amps was a BD-2. Is that not true?

PS. That doesn't mean I'm not impressed by the breadboard rig!

Gavin

Blues Newbie
I thought the Blues Drive built in to the Katana amps was a BD-2. Is that not true?

PS. That doesn't mean I'm not impressed by the breadboard rig!
It does have one, but I like to build my own pedals. When I got the katana I only used the effects in it, and they are great. But when Covid pushed my work to home and places were closed, I needed something to focus my mind and keep me from getting cabin fever.

So I learned basic electronics (I recommend the book Make: Electronics if you decide to start) and started building my own pedals. So now if I don't have a pedal, I build it. It's brought me sanity over the past 2 years, and honestly, they sound really good!

Gavin

Blues Newbie
Started the day with a question. Finished the day with a new handmade pedal. I think I'll change out the knobs for something different, but it sounds good. Thanks for the tone advice.

Here's a pic of the finished pedal with graphics applied and a mid solder action shot!!

20220311_164527.jpg 20220311_162037.jpg