BGU 2.0 Lesson 3 2nd try

Just memorizing the lesson, recording it and posting it are three big steps.
You played it cleanly, the timing will come the more you play.
Thanks for sharing, i look forward to hearing your next lesson !

JeffreyS

You are never to old to learn something new.
I need more info then that please I can not tell if it is perfectly in the pocket or completely out of time.

HotLks

Blues - it's in me and it's got to come out.
Your not completely out of time.

It sounds good StratGuy! As for timing, the first strum on many of the chord changes is a very small bit early. I do mean a very small bit. Like no more than 1/2 a strum early. This is something that you will work out very soon. Not a problem. As you say, you will improve as you move along. I wish my problems were this minor.

See you down the road! :thumbup:

JeffreyS

Thank you that is encouraging, I needed it! I want to play sooo very badly but have so little talent for it.

HotLks

Blues - it's in me and it's got to come out.
I'll say what Griff says so often: get comfortable with keeping time. Griff says count out loud while you play. I started tapping my foot for years and still do so today. I count out loud when I'm struggling to get a piece in time. Find your way early and stay with it until it becomes a HABIT. Tapping my foot is my habit. I do it all the time, always.

Your doing fine. Don't be too hard on yourself.

See you down the road! :thumbup:

david moon

Attempting the Blues
there were a few spots where you came in a bit early. I have similar problems playing along with backing tracks or a click track and I'm just feeling it a little faster. Probably the pressure of recording is also a factor.

When you listen to the recording do you hear where you're on the beat and where a little rushed? In the spectrum from perfectly in the pocket or completely out of time, you're a lot closer to in the pocket. Give yourself a pat on the back and move on. Keep recording!

JeffreyS

David, no I can't hear where I am on and off it's embarrassing but I can not tell if I'm close or way off. I did go back compare the waves on the Audicity recording and there I could see that I was a bit early.
Thank you

bills10733

Blues Newbie
Good tone and your chords were clean. As mentioned, a couple of times you were a bit early, but that timing will clean up with practice. Nice work!

Rockybottom

Senior Bluesman
One thing to think about is that you may be being distracted by the fact that the keyboard doesn't come in on the first beat of the measure. As you have recording capability why not just practice with a click track and no backing. As others say, tap your foot to the click track and just practice strumming a single chord so you dont need to think about chord changes.

Nice clean chords by the way so well done and keep at it.

Thatman

Playin' for the fun of it.
Don't worry about your standard here StratGuy this is only Lesson 3 and at this point your good to move on, you were smooth and consistent. (y)