BGIAB-2 Deep Ellum Blues

Discussion in 'Blues Gig In A Box Recordings' started by KiloMike, Jan 20, 2016.

1. KiloMike

KiloMike Eager Student

When Griff had us write down our 1st quarter goals, attacking one of the BGIAB songs made the list, but I said in reality it was probably a Q2 goal. Then I got impatient and started working on this rather than some of the other exercises I listed. There are quite a few rough spots in here, some of which may have been helped by doing those exercises... but I promise it sounded better before I recorded it! :D

Anyway, my first attempt recording Deep Ellum Blues.
    https://soundcloud.com/kilomike-717800722/deep-ellum-blues

The mix sounded different in Ableton Live 9 before I wrote out the WAV file. Not sure why...:confused:

~Kevin

2. MikeS

MikeS Moderator... Another Man In Black.
    Staff Member

Sounds great,
    Mike.

#2 MikeS, Jan 21, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
  3. Steve G

Steve G St. Simons Island, GA

Yeah, that sounded real good to me Mike. Only suggestion would be to bring the backing track up a bit in the mix. Nice work!

4. Steve G

Oops! Just realized your name is Kevin, not Mike. Anyway, still sounded real good!

5. Thatman

Thatman Playin' for the fun of it.

Given that's a new piece and you're straight out of the blocks with it you did very well, congrats. Enjoy the listen. :)

6. KiloMike

KiloMike Eager Student

Steve, I recorded this in Ableton 9 Live Lite, which came with my Mustang I amp, and it didn't sound like that when I recorded or played it back. For some reason, it appears to have totally disregarded the levels I had set when it exported to a .WAV file. I'm sure I screwed something up, as I seem to have difficulty getting it to export at all unless I do a rain dance, stand on one foot, and hold my tongue just right when I click the button! o_O

I may have to try recording in something else, maybe Audacity. Any suggestions?

No worries. I took my first and middle initials and translated them to the phonetic alphabet. Been using it for years since I was an online gamer. I've been called worse... today... by my wife. :D

7. KiloMike

KiloMike Eager Student

Thanks. I'm still polishing it and will post an updated version in the coming days (weeks?). I finally had enough confidence to play it live for my wife last night. She displayed the right amount of amazement and appreciation. :)

8. Steve G

Kevin, I've been using Ableton Live Lite 8 for years & I haven't encountered that problem. I just get my track levels adjusted to where the balance sounds right, then set the master track volume as high as I can without causing clipping, and export it as a wav file. Has that happened to you before with Ableton?

9. Many Moons

Many Moons Biking+Blues=Bliss

Great work Kevin.(y)

Fingerlick likes this.
  10. JestMe

JestMe Student Of The Blues

Nicely done... !

11. KiloMike

KiloMike Eager Student

The other recordings I have made didn't seem to have the same issue, but it also wouldn't have been as critical. I think this may be the first time I recorded over a track that I had dialed back the volume on. I actually tried to re-balance and re-export this one, but got the same result. I probably just need to spend some more time with the manual and play around with it. I may PM you if I have questions, if you don't mind. On second thought, I may just go start a thread in case others can benefit, or help.

12. KiloMike

KiloMike Eager Student

Thanks, Davy and JestMe!

13. Steve G

Feel free to PM me Kevin. If you want, send me your tracks & I can check them out on my software.

14. KiloMike

KiloMike Eager Student

Been busy with work and life for the past couple of weeks, so I could either practice guitar, or play around with Ableton, or get on the forums... so I practiced. Here we are a couple of weeks later and this is my second bite at Deep Ellum. This was literally my first attempt at it tonight. Sat down cold, tuned the guitar and recorded what you hear here. Not perfect, by any means. But most of the places that I messed up in this recording, I play correctly 4 out of 5 times. I just haven't managed to put them all together at the same time with a recording yet! :) The biggest spot that consistently troubles me is the play-out sequence at the end. I can slow it down and get it, but still having issues at speed.

But this time, Ableton balanced better, so I'm sure I just screwed something up before.

Anyway, for your listening...um...pleasure?!? :)

https://soundcloud.com/kilomike-717800722/deep-ellum-blues-mk2

15. Steve G

Sounded real good Kevin and the mix definitely sounded better to me!

16. MikeS

MikeS Moderator... Another Man In Black.
    Staff Member

Sounds great Kevin

17. KiloMike

KiloMike Eager Student

Been away working on Down and Out and I Believe. Came back and re-recorded Deep Ellum and this is what I got. Just like Griff was talking about in his email earlier this week, go away for a bit and come back, you will be amazed at the progress you are making over time.

https://soundcloud.com/kilomike-717800722/deep-ellum-blues-1

18. wannaplayblues

wannaplayblues Blues Newbie