BGIAB-2 Deep Ellum Blues

KiloMike

Eager Student
When Griff had us write down our 1st quarter goals, attacking one of the BGIAB songs made the list, but I said in reality it was probably a Q2 goal. Then I got impatient and started working on this rather than some of the other exercises I listed. There are quite a few rough spots in here, some of which may have been helped by doing those exercises... but I promise it sounded better before I recorded it! :D

Anyway, my first attempt recording Deep Ellum Blues.
https://soundcloud.com/kilomike-717800722/deep-ellum-blues

The mix sounded different in Ableton Live 9 before I wrote out the WAV file. Not sure why...:confused:

~Kevin

Steve G

St. Simons Island, GA
Yeah, that sounded real good to me Mike. Only suggestion would be to bring the backing track up a bit in the mix. Nice work!

Steve G

St. Simons Island, GA
Yeah, that sounded real good to me Mike. Only suggestion would be to bring the backing track up a bit in the mix. Nice work!

Oops! Just realized your name is Kevin, not Mike. Anyway, still sounded real good!

Thatman

Playin' for the fun of it.
Given that's a new piece and you're straight out of the blocks with it you did very well, congrats. Enjoy the listen. :)

KiloMike

Eager Student
Steve, I recorded this in Ableton 9 Live Lite, which came with my Mustang I amp, and it didn't sound like that when I recorded or played it back. For some reason, it appears to have totally disregarded the levels I had set when it exported to a .WAV file. I'm sure I screwed something up, as I seem to have difficulty getting it to export at all unless I do a rain dance, stand on one foot, and hold my tongue just right when I click the button! o_O

I may have to try recording in something else, maybe Audacity. Any suggestions?

Oops! Just realized your name is Kevin, not Mike. Anyway, still sounded real good!
No worries. I took my first and middle initials and translated them to the phonetic alphabet. Been using it for years since I was an online gamer. I've been called worse... today... by my wife. :D

KiloMike

Eager Student
Given that's a new piece and you're straight out of the blocks with it you did very well, congrats. Enjoy the listen. :)
Thanks. I'm still polishing it and will post an updated version in the coming days (weeks?). I finally had enough confidence to play it live for my wife last night. She displayed the right amount of amazement and appreciation. :)

Steve G

St. Simons Island, GA
Kevin, I've been using Ableton Live Lite 8 for years & I haven't encountered that problem. I just get my track levels adjusted to where the balance sounds right, then set the master track volume as high as I can without causing clipping, and export it as a wav file. Has that happened to you before with Ableton?

KiloMike

Eager Student
Kevin, I've been using Ableton Live Lite 8 for years & I haven't encountered that problem. I just get my track levels adjusted to where the balance sounds right, then set the master track volume as high as I can without causing clipping, and export it as a wav file. Has that happened to you before with Ableton?

The other recordings I have made didn't seem to have the same issue, but it also wouldn't have been as critical. I think this may be the first time I recorded over a track that I had dialed back the volume on. I actually tried to re-balance and re-export this one, but got the same result. I probably just need to spend some more time with the manual and play around with it. I may PM you if I have questions, if you don't mind. On second thought, I may just go start a thread in case others can benefit, or help.

Steve G

St. Simons Island, GA
The other recordings I have made didn't seem to have the same issue, but it also wouldn't have been as critical. I think this may be the first time I recorded over a track that I had dialed back the volume on. I actually tried to re-balance and re-export this one, but got the same result. I probably just need to spend some more time with the manual and play around with it. I may PM you if I have questions, if you don't mind. On second thought, I may just go start a thread in case others can benefit, or help.

Feel free to PM me Kevin. If you want, send me your tracks & I can check them out on my software.

KiloMike

Eager Student
Been busy with work and life for the past couple of weeks, so I could either practice guitar, or play around with Ableton, or get on the forums... so I practiced. Here we are a couple of weeks later and this is my second bite at Deep Ellum. This was literally my first attempt at it tonight. Sat down cold, tuned the guitar and recorded what you hear here. Not perfect, by any means. But most of the places that I messed up in this recording, I play correctly 4 out of 5 times. I just haven't managed to put them all together at the same time with a recording yet! :) The biggest spot that consistently troubles me is the play-out sequence at the end. I can slow it down and get it, but still having issues at speed.

But this time, Ableton balanced better, so I'm sure I just screwed something up before.

Anyway, for your listening...um...pleasure?!? :)

https://soundcloud.com/kilomike-717800722/deep-ellum-blues-mk2